1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Shooting Banks and Custom Settings

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by stringbean98, Sep 29, 2008.

1. stringbean98

stringbean98

Jul 8, 2008
    NYC
    Out of curiosity, what Shooting Bank settings and Custom Settings have you guys been using? How have you been categorizing/naming your different banks?

In terms of Shooting banks, i've got two so far, Normal (JPG, Auto ISO) and Panos (RAW, Auto ISO Off)

For Custom Settings, i've got Indoors and Outdoors so far.

Who's got a better way to make use of these functions? Please sound off!

Anthony.

2. robinL

robinL Guest

I just recently learned how to do this and I have 4 banks set now:
    Point & Shoot with Auto ISO on
    Landscapes with Auto ISO off
    Portraits with Auto ISO off
    Sports with Auto ISO on

Not sure if this is the best way, as I'm still learning too.
    Robin

3. I'd love to hear some of these. I tend to set it how I want it when I want it and can't see myself changing too many things other than ISO, aperture and shutterspeed. Doesn't that equal the amount of button pushing you'd need to change your custom setting anyway?

4. stringbean98

stringbean98

Jul 8, 2008
    NYC
    Having everything set via the Shooting Banks and Custom Settings are incredibly useful since with two pushes of the INFO button, you can change either of these settings. You don't need to go all the way into the menu to do this.

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Just giving this a bump.

Could those who are happy with their custom bank settings write what they've done?
    Eg - Bank name X, Settings. Bank name Y, Settings.

Thanks

6. I did not know that.

Thanks!!!

7. On my D300, I had one bank set to use the AF-On button for focus, the other bank to use the shutter.

8. joeholmes

joeholmes

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've got bank A on my D300 for my favorite settings for day-to-day shooting, and bank B for special tripod settings. Among other things, the tripod bank B turns on 14-bit RAW and exposure delay. It also sets the lowest ISO value, these days L 01.

9. Point and Shoot (for everyday and my wife/kids)
    Advanced (for me)
    Landscape (with higher color, etc..)
    Action (for sports, etc... AF process changes to the AF button as well)

10. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    I'm slightly confused by the banks - I know what they're for, but it seems you don't choose when to save changes to them - so if you make any changes, they automatically become part of the bank you've set. I'm hoping that's not the case, because that's rubbish.

I want to have a few starting points (banks) for different types of photography (action, portraits, flash etc) - then, depending on the actual event (which sport it is) I want to make a couple of tweaks on the day. Next time I load that bank, I want it to be my default sports setting, not a tweaked version where I can't remember what's changed.

Someone please tell me I'm missing something.

11. Someone please tell me I'm missing something.

You're not.

12. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Thanks Andy.

That just seems daft. Maybe I can have my chosen bank settigns on a CF card, but that sounds like too much hassle (since you're supposed to reformat regularly). Which means you can't really tweak your bank settings.

Oo I'm all angry, this is stupid!

13. joeholmes

joeholmes

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've been complaining about this since the D200. As it stands, every time I go out I have to double check all the bank settings in case I changed one little detail.

Kinda defeats the purpose...

14. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Indeed. I haven't worked out how I'll have my banks set-up yet, and whether I'll be able to use any of them without on the fly mods, but I imagine I will have to carry a saved copy on CF. Useful for before any important shoot - faster than checking loads of settings, and less prone to human error.

15. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    They're definitely useful, great to have. Just annoying that you can't undo tweaks since a last save (ie, create banks and save, tweak, then revert to saved banks).

I've read through that thread, and it reads like there was an update due, and you also need to purchase camera control pro to load it.

Could you post a link to a download site for the spreadsheet, and explain what you can do with it please?

Thom Hogan also suggests using Bank A for defaults, but that leaves you with a lot to adjust, and doesn't prevent the other banks from getting accidentally adjusted.

16. There is a link about 5 posts in ("Donald"s site") to the spread sheet; it is in Excel. I just input it manually, I don't have Camera Control Pro at this point.

I agree with Thom, Bank A is probably best left at Default, and my other 3 usually undergo a bit more customization as I use them. But I can always refer to the spreadsheet as my baseline. I just go back and reset them from time to time, usually when I am doing other maintenance on the cam, or prepping for a shoot.

17. Bracer

Bracer

Feb 20, 2006
    Markham, Ontario
    With both my D200 and D700 I have tried to be as alliterative as possible so I prefer to leave bank D as my Default banks and bank A with as many Automatic settings as I can load in (although I have never actually used bank A so far:smile:) . My main usage bank is B (sorry but no alliterative name) and I use bank C for Sports.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.