Shooting Boxing From Auxiliary - Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by ultravista, Sep 20, 2008.

1. I have my technique down for shooting boxing / mma when ringside. As a Nikon shooter (D200), my lens of choice is the 28-70mm f/2.8 AFS and the little 50mm f/1.4 as a backup. ISO 1250 - 1600 and try to get 1/400 or 1/500 (rare).

When televised (HBO PPV), the lighting is fantastic. 1/400 is easy and exposure is usually spot on.

However ... fresh into the boxing scene, I rarely get ringside and mostly shoot from auxiliary. When shooting AUX, the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 is the lens.

When shooing auxiliary, is a fast shutter speed still a requirement? My first thought is that I should be able to get away with a slower shutter as the action is much farther away. I won't be stopping (in air) saliva or sweat. Furthermore, the distance in strike travel is much shorter when farther away. Meaning, the distance in travel ringside may be 3ft, from auxiliary however it appears much shorter, maybe a few inches. Physics?

Anyone else shoot boxing and or MMA, can you shed some light on this?

One last thing, I recently met a Canon shooter who told me the Sigma lenses on Nikon or Canon bodys introduce more noise than the manufacturers lens would. Does this make sense and is there any truth to it?

2. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

#1 .... yes ... I would imagine that you would still need a fast shutter speed ......

#2 The canon guy is full of crap ... the lens has absolutly nothing to do with noise thats produced in camera.... noise is always a result of high-ISO's and in camera processing/settings ....