1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Shooting Date Question

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Mike Hauck, May 17, 2019.

1. Mike Hauck

Mike Hauck

May 17, 2019
    Dose anyone know why Nikon Image Space, either with mobile devices or desktops, chose January 1, 1970 as a starting date for the ability to edit the shooting date? I have photos that go back to the Civil War and I would like to share them with my friends and relatives but up to now all dates on the rolling year wheel from 1970 back to year '1" are grayed out and are unavailable. Can anyone shed some light on this?

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    The date field doesn't preclude you sharing photos. And do you know, with accuracy, exactly when the image was taken?

What s/w are you using? Googling "changing date in Lightroom" will yield answers such as this. If you use a different software, then try Googling for that s/w.

3. That date is related to the "unix epoch". Early programmers had to choose how to encode time in the operating system and they made 1/1/70 the beginning point for time calculations. It manifests itself in situations like this where you can't select a date before that.

Unix time - Wikipedia

Sean

4. All computers store time as a number of intervals from a reference point. 01/01/1970 is a common one. Due to the size of the binary numbers assigned to store these values, 2038 may turn out to be "interesting"...

5. Nikon Image Space is what he is using. It's Nikon's picture sharing site. Limited in capability, clunky and worse. I used it for a while (it's free) but the new and improved version didn't play well with the Café (Fortunately we can now upload from our own computers directly).

6. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I just learned something! ;)  I thought Nikon had dropped their sharing s/w long ago. I usually stay away from Nikon developed s/s for processing and sharing images. I've usually found better options elsewhere.

7. You probably got rid of your shag carpeting too..... Nikon Image space is the cat's meow for us stuck in the '70's.... Ha ha Ha...

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

"mom, it is time for you to retire your IBM XT.... nobody uses 386's any more" - Georgie Beagle

8. Yup, shag carpet, avocado green appliances, and white sidewall tires---all gone.

9. Nick, You are truly a modernist!

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

"modern for some but my F2 still is in my paws for special occasions" - Georgie Beagle

"why Jan 1 1970, because there are no laws in software design only decisions made by the software engineer... so it is because I said so..." - Georgie Beagle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.