Shooting Distance

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by gbenic, Jun 18, 2005.

1. I did a lot more experimenting with my 70-300/F4-5.6 ED lens. If I take a shot that is a great distance, the subject doesn't look as good as a closer one. I am curious if this is camera shake (I used shutter speeds up to 1250) or if the lens just poops out after 40-50 feet or so.

Thanks.

Edit: I am using a monopod for these shots.

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

You may have to use either a sturdy tripod, or some other method that holds the camera absolutely still with NO possibility of camera shake, and also use the timer to take the shot. Then compare the photos.

3. IxLr8

IxLr8 Guest

I'm not sure what kind of camera you have but if you're also able to lock up the mirror, and do what Ken said as well, it should also help. Found myself shooting the moon with my 80-400vr mirror movement made a big difference.

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    70-300

Is is safe to assume that you're zoomed out to 300 at distance?

If this is the case...then that's the problem. The 70-300 isn't as sharp zoomed all the way out as it is at <200.