1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Shooting Family portraits, journalistically

Discussion in 'People' started by Neeper, Jul 21, 2008.

1. I was asked by an old friend, who saw my wedding work, if I shoot family pictures. I have done some family photos for people in a studio type setting but never really got into it. In fact I hated it. So I told him no at first. Then I got to thinking, why can't I shoot family photos like I shoot my weddings? I love photojournalism and I thought I would give it a shot.

I met them at a local park at 8pm, when I knew the light would be really nice. Their boy, Aiden, is almost 2 years old. He was full of energy of course and his parent had a heck of a time keeping up to him. He is a very affectionate little boy. I had a good time shooting them and I think I might just start doing this a little more and make a style out of it. These are just some of my favorites.

Feel free to comment and critique!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I think that's the way I would like to do it - much more meaningful and accurate .
    I like the bokeh in #1 but feel it could have been cropped a bit , maybe included full length of the family rather than so much space on the right .
    It must have challenged your focussing a bit trying to track that little boy !

3. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    Hi Neeper

I think the images look forced rather than natural. This could be because you met them at 8pm when you knew the light would be good. Maybe try meeting up at 6pm for a picnic in the park and then just letting it all happen.

The photographs to me look as though they have been taken in a park for the sake of taking "natural" shots.

I am trying to remember th ename of the Calgary photographer I met in the Uk once. He photographed women and had a great set up

stew

4. johnny,
    you were really thinking here
    these are terrific
    i bet they LOVED them

nice-looking family
    great job

thanks for sharing

5. These are fantastic! What a great idea... I may have to completely rethink my family portrait sessions.

6. jamesclarke

jamesclarke Guest

I really like number 5, the light it fantastic. Great work.

7. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    This "style" is the current request. It is the style I get the most requests for. You did a fantastic job here in capturing this style while paying attention to the light and surrounding backdrops. Not an easy shoot, especially with an almost 2 year old.
    Well Done!

8. Hi Stew, I appreciate your comments, but I don't think they looked forced at all. As a matter of fact, I never forced anything on them. I let them be, like you said. As for the park, its one of their favorites. It was their request we go there, as I wanted to go to a more shopping area.

9. I think they came out very good. They looked like they enjoyed the experience and if you enjoyed the results, the approach should continue to work. It looks like you focused in on the little boy. That should always work for the parents.

10. bunimoo

bunimoo

Sep 6, 2006
    Chicago
    i enjoyed every single shot...GOOD JOB!

11. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    Hi Johnny

Hi Stew, I appreciate your comments, but I don't think they looked forced at all. As a matter of fact, I never forced anything on them. I let them be, like you said. As for the park, its one of their favorites. It was their request we go there, as I wanted to go to a more shopping area.

You misunderstand my comments. I have also misunderstood something. This sort of portrait sitting is very common place in the UK and I assumed it was over there.

I had made my living out of it for a number of years. As an ex press photographer who worked on local and national Daily papers I find them ideal.

When I said forced I mean their smiles not something you did. I think they were fully aware of your presence and were "smiling" for the camera rather than acting naturally.

If you had got there an hour or two prior to the shoot and sat and had a drink with them they would have relaxed more. But hey if everyone is happy with the results then whats the point lol

stew

12. I love this style of portraiture. It captures people being themselves. You get natural expressions, body language, and real connections between people. Great work!

13. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    I really like these, very nice!

My only suggestion for the last one which is probably my favorite would be to crop it as an 8x10 or something so it cuts out those 2 cars and gives more focus to the subjects.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.