Shooting from a smaller lobster type boat off of Maine

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Vienna Pics, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Hello,

We are going to Camden Maine next week. I was planning to go out on a small lobster type boat, rocking is expected, and should see some good sites.

Who has experienced this and was able to take some 'keepers'? I am looking for suggestions - handheld and no tripod so the 70-200VR and 70-300VR are likely candidates for the 'ride'.

Thanks - Mark

2. Speaking from weeks and days offshore in a small boat: Crank up your ISO, keep shutter speeds over 250th of a sec.

When you get good at it, you can drop the shutter speed and sorta pan with the boat's motion.

You'll love Camden.

3. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Stephen,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and expertise. I am so glad the Cafe has a lot of experienced members. This will be a new for me and I would hate to see that I took a lot of 'delete' shots when I get back to look at them on the PC.

4. Camden is beautiful and Stephen's advice is sound. (no pun) enjoy and share with us!

5. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Will do - went through everything with my 9 year old daughter last night - she will be using 'her' D50. Showed her how to clean every, review what was on the cards and formatted and then charged everything up. Just have to reorganize into the bags we want to take and we are off 4:00 Saturday morning!

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'd keep the shutter speed even higher than that, though don't go faster than 1/1000 if you are using the VR. I'd also bring some plastic bags and plastic electrical tape, they make good protection from spray.
    As for the boat, you'll want to brace your lower body (below the waist) against the boat, but use your upper body to absorb vibrations. Don't lean against the boat with arms or shoulders. If they are going to be working, ie, hauling pots, a wide angle lens would be fun.