1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Shooting in Washington DC?

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by jfrancis, Jul 22, 2008.

1. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    My GF and I are going to DC this weekend. I would appreciate some tips on some "must-see" places (from the photographic perspective).

Many thanks.

2. You can take the Metro train,(depends where u folks are staying), and get off SMITHSONIAN....All the different Monuments are there...You can walk to the White House for a quick shoot, all of walking distances...It's a great place for Architectural shooting....Have fun!:biggrin:

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks - we are staying at the Capital Hilton on 16th St NW.

4. Close area to the Smithsonian Mall...lucky u guys..Enjoy:wink:

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Any good camera stores in the area?

6. Two Penn Camera stores in downtown. One at 840 E Street NW. This is a favorite of local pros I think. The other is at 1015 18th Street NW.

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Excellent - thanks.

8. Just saw this ... Maybe it will work for Sunday...

In addition to the excellent suggestions above, you should consider:

- The National Cathedral not just for the architecture but also for the view as it is one of the highest points in DC (X Mass Ave and Wisc Ave - Bus N1 from your area -20 mins)
    - Georgetown (G2 from P Street and Dupont Circle - 30 mins)
    - Dupont Circle - vibrant people all over (walk West on K St up to Mass then North - 5 min.)
    - Adams Morgan for some night life scene (Walk to 18th then North on 18th - 15 mins)
    - Union Station (Metro line from Dupont Circle or Farragut Square 30-mins)
    - Arlington National Cemetery - The change of the guard is a must see (Metro Line as above - 30 to 45 mins)

DC is a very exciting place for picture taking .... Lived there for 3 years and love it - Was there about 3 weeks ago with my family and really want to go back and live there now .... Some pics from the trip....

Florida_DC_20080701_0345.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Florida_DC_20080701_0318.jpg

Florida_DC_20080701_0320.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
  9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Many thanks - did Union Station and Arlington today!

10. Great ! I hope you enjoyed

11. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Bring a tripod for the lowlight shots of the monuments.

12. With a D3 and those fine lenses?? Nahhh - I am sure he did just fine without :smile:

13. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Frankier - you are correct about the equipment - John cannot use the equipment excuse, ever :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.