Shooting landscapes with D810/D850 ???

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Butlerkid, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Disclaimer: For several years I've been doing birding....and living between about f4 and f5.6! LOL! I still thought shooting landscapes with my D810 would mean using f8 or f11. Or maybe focusing blending a couple of shots taken with different focus points to ensure a wide DOF.

However...

Per Thom: "Which aperture to use is still something I'm trying to come to grips with. Greg (Benz's) suggests f/8 to f/13. But f/8 is already diffraction limited on a D850. f/13 results are absolutely impacted by diffraction. The tradeoff here is acuity versus depth of field: you can't have both past f/5.6 on the D850. This is why focus shift (ugh, Nikon, what were you thinking using a derogatory term already used in optical evaluation?) becomes very important. Technically, to preserve everything the lens and camera can capture, you want to be at f/4 or f/5.6 and focus stacking to get your depth of field. And as noted above, Nikon didn't make it easy to figure out what the optimal settings to do that would be."

What? Now we really have to focus stack for landscapes?

2. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Nope, just take the identical photo at f9 - f10 - f11 and see which dof you prefer, then stick with it.
    Those sites spend too much time overanalyzing to justify their existence.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Yep, and it works really well. Try it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Yup, what the experts, above, said. It works.

5. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    But I don't HAVE a D850.....I only have a D810!!!!! :(

And since when did F11 or F16 exhibit "noticeable" diffraction???? With the camera bodies with over 36 MP?

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    If you are pixel peeping, you'll see some slight IQ deterioration starting at f11 with the D810. As in all aspects of photography, it's about trade-offs. I doubt you'll see any deterioration at f11, maybe a little at f16. This assumes the absolute best optics. If your lens of choice is a touch off or the tripod gets a little shake........everything else has to be perfect and in the field, it rarely is. We all have different ideas of what sharp is.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. I have only 24MP cameras, but I find f/9 to f/11 is fine on both my D7200 and D750. Of course I don't make big prints to hang on the wall (In fact, I make no prints :(). Nevertheless, I try to stay away from apertures smaller than f/11, and I think I get plenty of DOF when viewed on my 27-inch iMac.

8. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    While there is no escaping diffraction I do think its effects can be overstated and if you need the DoF that f/16 or f/22 bring and you cannot stack at the optimum aperture then it seems you have two choices. First shoot it and be damned, second pack up and go home!

One thing that we have at our disposal now are excellent sharpening algorithms particularly deconvolution that can mitigate the effects of diffraction and focus blur pretty well. Not quite magic yet but the next generation maybe :D.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
  10. At 24mm (where I usually shoot LS) I’m often at f/5.6 and everything looks good

11. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen