1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Shooting manual Hate to ask

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by gladjo, Aug 9, 2008.

1. gladjo

gladjo Guest

I've been shooting in 'P' mode since I've got the D70s. Haven't shot manual for eons (Canon AT-1) but time to get back. When shooting in manual;

Can I only get shutter/aperture by reading the little slide graph in the viewfinder? The shutter/aperture doesn't seem to change when I point the camera at different light sources but the "slide" moves + or - when I spin the dials.

Help? :redface:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
  2. Jim, I'm not quite sure what you are asking - when in manual mode the only way to change either the shutter speed or the aperture is by using the dials. The exposure meter (slide) shows you what the camera thinks is the correct exposure (middle of the graph) and where the current setting is (green dots). If you adjust one of the settings to where the slider is in the middle, then you are 'correctly exposed' according to the meter.

So, if you move the camera to a different target, the slider will change depending on what the meter thinks is the 'correct' exposure for the new target.

Hope this helps,

3. gladjo

gladjo Guest

Yes it does help. Thanks. :biggrin:

4. I just bought a D70S as well , it's a good camera to learn to go manual on [ as I am trying to do as well ] since the meter is much more reliable than most others , on a par with the D200 . In sunny conditions I've been pointing it at the sky to get a centre reading and then shooting at that setting ...... hopefully that's the right way to do it but the exposures seem to be right anyway .

5. gladjo

gladjo Guest

Thks Desmond. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.