Shooting Medium Sized Group Outdoors

I'll have an opportunity to shoot a group of 11 outside at 2:00pm this weekend in Chicago. I need some help with my lighting setup.

Here's what I'll have to work with:
- Elinchrom Ranger RX (2 A-heads)
- 27 in softbox
- 39 in Octabox
- 60 inch umbrella (silver interior - bounce only)
- 41 inch Varistar umbrella
- 41 inch shoot through umbrella
- D700 w/ probably the 24-70 as the main lens.

I'm seeking specific recommendations on whether to use one or two strobes and what combination of modifiers I should use. I've never been to this location so I don't know whether there will be shade from trees available, etc. (the outdoor shoot will be outside of a home)

Thanks for your advice/help!

11 people can be packed in pretty tight if need be. Not sure what your location will allow for as far as arranging people. Stacked (some behind the others) or wide shot (shoulder to shoulder). I would think you could get away with one light (I'm not familiar with the Elinchrom as far as which model puts out what power so I'm shooting from the hip here). and the 60" bounce umbrella. Put their backs to the sun, and the light up above you (center, left, right of your camera depending on the look you're going for).

Thank you Red1!

I suppose I'll just have to try it and see if the one light approach with the 60 inch umbrella is sufficient. I could also use the second light (with a ratio of 66% main to 33%) for fill with a softbox attached if needed.

Real Name
Paul
I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. I ended up using one flash (bare sb-600) off camera via CLS. I feel it worked very well. I was using a D7000/16-85VR.

Real Name
Paul
For the most part, no. A couple of shots of the family, with direct sun, have them walking across a bridge with the sun at their 5 o'clock. The others were managed with clouds cover ing the sun or with them in full shade.

I would use two lights and to get them to be more or less equal you might have to push them back further and turn them up so they are powerful fill. It will be a harder light but it should take the shadows from the sun out a bit. You might pose so you get the sun helping you too as the main and use your lights as the fill.

Umbrellas outside have a good chance of falling over if there is any wind. A soft box on a monopod and held high is a good choice. Holding it high will help eliminate reflections on glasses. Eleven people should be fairly easy to light if they are in two rows. Have the first row sitting. Of course you know you need to find good solid shade or have a heavily overcast day.

Thank you Greg! I do have the softbox that I can have my assistant hold on a boom arm today. It's either the 27x27 or the 39 inch Octa. Do you think that would be big enough? With this size group, do you think it would be okay to hold it at 45 degrees or should it be straight on?

Thank you Greg! I do have the softbox that I can have my assistant hold on a boom arm today. It's either the 27x27 or the 39 inch Octa. Do you think that would be big enough? With this size group, do you think it would be okay to hold it at 45 degrees or should it be straight on?

27" will work and 30-45º is good. If you had a larger group there's no doubt two lights would be needed but two rows of five or six is easy.

At last Saturday's wedding I did a group of 85 in a dark tent at 9pm. For that I used one SB-900 and three SB-800 on light stands controlled by an SU-800. I also added a 100 watt video light bounced off the tent. I stood on a chair and held the camera high above my head. I was surprised by the request but it turned out surprisingly well.

You didn't ask about camera settings. Outside I usually underexpose the camera -0.3 to 0.7 and let the flash fill in. Matrix metering and TTL BL if you're using flash. With those lights I'm sure you know what you're doing.

Thanks Greg. I've not done a ton of outdoor
location shooting so your advice is most welcome!

Pardon the pun, but I do need to get out more! :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom