Shooting my first pre 15's

P

picture_perfect

and i want to get a lens..? which one?

I currently have a D90 with 18-105 VR lens.. with an sb-600..

any tips would be great.

Depends on what type of shooting you're doing. Portraits or party? Portraits, a 50 1.8 would do well. Party I would look for some type of zoom, 70-200 2.8 would be ideal if you have the budget.

P

picture_perfect

potrait shots, mostly. I would like to do some (very few) up-close shots...

So do i go for the 50 or 35?

I think the optics of the 35mm are far superior to the 50 f/1.8. But that's just me. Plus, the autofocusing is faster and extremely accurate. I also LOVE the colors that that the 35mm f/1.8 produces.

I'd rather kiss my sister than use a 35mm lens for an up close portrait. But that's just me.

It's like anything else, you have to determine your style. I like the compression of a longer lens for a portrait. Some people like the feel of being right there that is provided by a wider lens. Both have there place, and you just have to decide what you like.

I'd rather kiss my sister than use a 35mm lens for an up close portrait. But that's just me.

It's like anything else, you have to determine your style. I like the compression of a longer lens for a portrait. Some people like the feel of being right there that is provided by a wider lens. Both have there place, and you just have to decide what you like.
+1 - I would rather kiss his sister, too! :) Wider than a50 on DX starts to look awkward for portraits, IMHO.

P

picture_perfect

i bought the 50mm.. but is there anything else where i can zoom in and out. so i dont have to move to get the shot???

The only option would be something cheap like an older copy of the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC, or springing $800-1000 for a used copy of the 17-55 f/2.8.

The 50 really is where it's at.

Use what you have! That combo will do far more than you can imagine, and do it well! :smile:

Of course, if you just HAVE to buy a lens....:biggrin: the 50mm f/1.8 is a good one, and won't fracture the piggy bank.

Fact is, I have a great 50mm I'll trade you straight across for your 18-105...What could be fairer???:tongue:

Latest posts