Shooting my first wedding with a D40. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by SalM, Jun 16, 2007.

1. SalM

SalM

May 13, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    I am shooting my friends wedding next week. Its my gift to him. They are keeping it low key and it will be at his mom's house in a country setting. They are getting a tent for the reception but the wedding will be outside.

Here is my basic equipment.
    Nikkon D40
    Kit lens 18-55mm
    70-300 VR lense
    Monopod and a Tripod

What lense would one suggest? I can get wider shots with the 18-55mm lense vs the VR but the VR will blow the kit away in quality. I guess I will be switching them up quite a bit.

I was thinking of shooting in "A" mode this way it will choose the shutter speed, unless someone suggests a better option?

I plan on shooting in RAW mode so I know the quality will be better than Fine JPEG.

Can anyone offer any other suggestions. I only have the flash that is built in on the camera and would like to buy another flash, but I am hoping seeing how its outside and as long as its not overcast I might end up not needing the flash. In the tent it will be shade so I am thinking the stand alone flash might safice if I tone it down a bit say to -3 or lower. Just use a soft flash.

Any suggestions and your time is greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!
    Sal M

2. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    suggestions

My $.02

First thing I would change is NOT use on-camera flash. On camera flash will give shadows, whether you use the pop-up or a nice SB-800. If it was me, I would buy a sb-600 or sb-800 (since they have wireless capability) and either put them on a bracket or hold them to the side with your hand. This way you will get a much more pleasing lighting pattern. You can even tell the on-camera flash to fire but send the wireless signal ONLY and emit no visible light. Might be a good option.

RAW is a great idea. You can't go wrong there.

If you can, have a lens with f2.8 or less on hand for portraits. You can get nice soft backgrounds in your portraits with that in A mode.

3. have a look at this thread for tons of good info and this thread for the results

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Borrow/rent a second body if you can. Those things move so fast you'll want to have both the wide/normal and telephoto on tap at all times.

5. SalM

SalM

May 13, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    Thanks all!