1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Shooting Obedience Trials?

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by AgilityIG, Sep 12, 2008.

1. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    Hope this question is ok for this area...

Have any of you ever shot obedience trials inside? I am thinking that it might be something to do this winter when things slow down around here. Any helpful hints, tips, ideas? (no flash allowed, of course). I would be shooting with a D300 + 70-200/2.8 (also have a 50mm/1.8).

I have a friend that teaches and am going to practice on her class Tuesday - the building she teaches in is pretty similiar to what we would see for trials, only on a smaller scale. We generally have metal type buildings with white walls and hopefully some windows and the majority are on matts.

2. Yes, definitely no flash! I would think the Open and Futility rings would provide some nice action (jumps, db retreives). Shots of dog attention to handler would also be appreciated I'm sure. :smile:

Zoom in close and do tight shots of the awards (Q's and placements). I know that most shows have their "official" photographer, and many people use them for Q's and new titles. Not sure if they have exclusive rights or not. Group exercises would probably yield some funny shots too! :smile:

I'd LOVE to see your shots from your upcoming practice (boy do I miss dog training right now!).

3. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    Thanks Gretchen. Melinda's class is Futility (LOL), so should be able to get some good stuff.

There is a club about three hours south of here that has obedience trials on a regular basis and I told them I would let them know if I wanted to shoot their trials, but wanted to practice on my guinea pigs up here first! There are not a lot of people around here that shoot obedience trials.

I wondered about doing awards - We have a nice backdrop/stand, but I am not sure about hauling that to a trial, but it might be a thought. I was thinking attention/heeling, glove/dumbell, jumps, etc...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.