Shooting some runners...Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pbenedic, Apr 8, 2005.

1. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Running a marathon Sunday and hoping to finish soon enough to grab the D2X and photograph my friend finishing his first one. Planning on using the 85/1.4. It is forecast to be bright and sunny. What APERTURE would members here who have experience with these sorts of events use?

Thanks.

2. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    My 2 cents

Patrick,

I would recommend against the 85 for the race. You're more likely to miss focus when shooting runners with that lense. I'd go with the 70-200, with a narrow dof, maybe in the 3.2 to 5.6 range, depending on if your focusing on an individual runner or a group. You'll have a lot more flexibility and the AF system will be your friend. I used it to shoot the Olympic marathon trials here last year and it worked great.

Tom

3. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    I'd have to agree with Tom. The 70-200 VR will be a good lens for the runners. Besides faster focusing, you'll have the convenience of the zoom.

BTW Tom - I grew up outside of St. Louis before moving to San Francisco about 2 years ago. Born & raised in Highland, IL then moved to Edwardsville, IL after High School.

Dave

4. Pat, I too would use the 70-200mm lens. I shot lots of similar events at the Huntsman Senior Games and my favorite lens was the 70-200. After race shots would be great with the 85mm lens.

5. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Dave,

My sister and brother in law lived in Highland for about 5 years, quite a while back. (in teh late 80's). He was pres. of St. Joseph's hospital there.

San Fransisco sounds like a step in a good direction!

Tom

6. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Talk about a small world! My mom works at St. Joseph's hospital as a nurse. She's been there almost 30 years now.

Dave

7. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Tom[/quote]

Talk about a small world! My mom works at St. Joseph's hospital as a nurse. She's been there almost 30 years now.

Dave[/quote]

Dave,

Small world, indeed. Next time you talk to your Mom, ask her if she remembers Jim Brophy.

Tom