Shooting some runners...Question

Running a marathon Sunday and hoping to finish soon enough to grab the D2X and photograph my friend finishing his first one. Planning on using the 85/1.4. It is forecast to be bright and sunny. What APERTURE would members here who have experience with these sorts of events use?

Thanks.

My 2 cents

Patrick,

I would recommend against the 85 for the race. You're more likely to miss focus when shooting runners with that lense. I'd go with the 70-200, with a narrow dof, maybe in the 3.2 to 5.6 range, depending on if your focusing on an individual runner or a group. You'll have a lot more flexibility and the AF system will be your friend. I used it to shoot the Olympic marathon trials here last year and it worked great.

Tom

I'd have to agree with Tom. The 70-200 VR will be a good lens for the runners. Besides faster focusing, you'll have the convenience of the zoom.

BTW Tom - I grew up outside of St. Louis before moving to San Francisco about 2 years ago. Born & raised in Highland, IL then moved to Edwardsville, IL after High School.

Dave

dkapp said:
I'd have to agree with Tom. The 70-200 VR will be a good lens for the runners. Besides faster focusing, you'll have the convenience of the zoom.

BTW Tom - I grew up outside of St. Louis before moving to San Francisco about 2 years ago. Born & raised in Highland, IL then moved to Edwardsville, IL after High School.

Dave
Dave,

My sister and brother in law lived in Highland for about 5 years, quite a while back. (in teh late 80's). He was pres. of St. Joseph's hospital there.

San Fransisco sounds like a step in a good direction!

Tom

tweber said:
Dave,

My sister and brother in law lived in Highland for about 5 years, quite a while back. (in teh late 80's). He was pres. of St. Joseph's hospital there.

San Fransisco sounds like a step in a good direction!

Tom
Talk about a small world! My mom works at St. Joseph's hospital as a nurse. She's been there almost 30 years now.

Dave

Tom[/quote]

Talk about a small world! My mom works at St. Joseph's hospital as a nurse. She's been there almost 30 years now.

Dave[/quote]

Dave,

Small world, indeed. Next time you talk to your Mom, ask her if she remembers Jim Brophy.

Tom

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom