Shooting suggestions / advice for Moab UT area?

I would appreciate any suggestions / tips / advice for shooting in the Moab UT area, most specifically Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. I'll be there about two weeks, from October 4th through the 19th.

Unfortunately, I do not own a 4 wheel drive vehicle anymore, so unless I beg, borrow, or steal one, my driving will be somewhat limited.

Any help will be most appreciated -- thanks in advance!

John

Was out there in mid-April and I would think mid-Oct would be awesome ...
Did the S. Utah NP loop and included Monument Valley and Grand Canyon ....

I was in the same boat -- rental sedan so I could'nt get to some to the more remote locations .... shoot I only drove about 1/4 of the monument valley road cause the car would bottom out in some spots ..

I was suprised though by how many great spots were right by or just off the main NP roadways ... hiking will definetly get you off the beaten track abit and is really needed for Canyonlands ...

I would'nt doubt that you could rent a 4WD vehicle in Moab ....
a 4WD would be almost a must in order to hit the more remote and less visited sections of Canyonlands especially the southern entrances plus there are so,so many roads you could explore with a 4WD ....

Awesome area --- definetly did'nt have enough time and don't forget places like the LaSal Mt. Loop Rd, ... Natural Bridges NM ... Deadhorse SP and many , many other great scenic and photography places within a days drive of Moab .....

ron

We've been there twice - but not at the cooler times of year like you're planning. I don't know about renting 4wd's but will tell you most of the off road sites are less than a mile to walk. At that time of year it should be comfortable walking. Just be sure to take plenty of water.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
A regular car will be fine for Arches and visiting Mesa Arch at sunrise (really a must see !). Arches has some really great hikes....but the furthest one is best if you get an early start.

Canyonlands is quite spread out with paved roads to many places.

The road into Monument Valley can be quite brutal. We drove our big diesel truck and went VERY slowly! Beautiful, though...and not to be missed. This would be a good location to just hire an Indian guide and then you will see more than the loop road the public must stay on....

Thanks!

Thanks for the info -- much appreciated!

I'm hoping to win the lottery in time to buy a FWD vehicle before the trip! :biggrin:

John

John,

There are 4WD rental outfits in Moab in case you want to get off the beaten path. One fun day I enjoy when I'm down there is to shoot Mesa Arch in Canyonnlands at sunrise, then head out on nearby Shafer trail for the rest of the morning. I've seen cars down there, but with the narrow switchbacks and steep terrain, I feel much more comfortable in my Jeep.

Latest threads

Top Bottom