Shooting Theatre Productions

I finally got around to using a B + W 486 UV/IR Cut filter on my 85mm f/1.4D lens to shoot some drama productions. Shot 4 plays in the same evening. I found that with the B + W 486 (or hot mirror filter) I get much better colours and cleaner images all around, even with my D2H.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What do you think?

Thanks

Henry

Henry, I don't know anything about Hot Mirror Filters but I can say that this shot is fantastic. The lighting looks like it was tough but your results are very impressive! :)

Hello Kevin

Yes it was tough capturing. There was a lot of movement and the lights were changing very quickly. Normally, without the filter, I would get some blotchy noise in the shadow areas but this session gave me very clean images. I'm pleased.

Thanks for viewing.

Henry

Thanks guys

let me have a few days to go through the files. I'm going to process them and then post some. I shot everything in NEF with D2H and D70.

This weekend I have a bunch of B + W filters to pack and ship out to people who had joined me in ordering them so I won't have much time to sit at the computer.

Thanks for viewing.

Henry

Steven

Hi Steve,

yes and no. I always get my exposure very close to what the scene is like but use AUTO ISO to adjust for fluctuations in levels since the lights and movement change so fast in plays like this one. I set the ISO on camera at 800 but when light is brighter in one spot, AUTO ISO can kick it downwards to 200 even!

Henry

btw, you should get the B + W filter I mentioned. I now have a good source so if you need help getting one, email me.

Henry,

Hot mirror filters are useful for the D2h, but the d2x (as far as I know) DOES NOT suffer the same near field IR problems.

So, recommending it to a d2x owner (like Steve) is likely going to be a waste of his money.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom