Shooting Theatre Productions

Discussion in 'People' started by Henry Goh, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    I finally got around to using a B + W 486 UV/IR Cut filter on my 85mm f/1.4D lens to shoot some drama productions. Shot 4 plays in the same evening. I found that with the B + W 486 (or hot mirror filter) I get much better colours and cleaner images all around, even with my D2H.
    original.

What do you think?

Thanks

Henry

2. Henry, I don't know anything about Hot Mirror Filters but I can say that this shot is fantastic. The lighting looks like it was tough but your results are very impressive! :)

3. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Hello Kevin

Yes it was tough capturing. There was a lot of movement and the lights were changing very quickly. Normally, without the filter, I would get some blotchy noise in the shadow areas but this session gave me very clean images. I'm pleased.

Thanks for viewing.

Henry

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Henry,
    Gogeous shot.
    Show us more. Love the costumes.

6. Very nice I know personally how hard shooting these productions can be, lets see some more

7. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Thanks guys

let me have a few days to go through the files. I'm going to process them and then post some. I shot everything in NEF with D2H and D70.

This weekend I have a bunch of B + W filters to pack and ship out to people who had joined me in ordering them so I won't have much time to sit at the computer.

Thanks for viewing.

Henry

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Very colorful, Henry, how

did you determine the exposure for this shot, since you shot it in Manual?

9. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Steven

Hi Steve,

yes and no. I always get my exposure very close to what the scene is like but use AUTO ISO to adjust for fluctuations in levels since the lights and movement change so fast in plays like this one. I set the ISO on camera at 800 but when light is brighter in one spot, AUTO ISO can kick it downwards to 200 even!

Henry

btw, you should get the B + W filter I mentioned. I now have a good source so if you need help getting one, email me.

10. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Henry,

Hot mirror filters are useful for the D2h, but the d2x (as far as I know) DOES NOT suffer the same near field IR problems.

So, recommending it to a d2x owner (like Steve) is likely going to be a waste of his money.

11. Good stuff, reminds me of film almost!

12. Nice colors, Henri. Well done!! :D :D :D