Shooting through submarine portholes..

If it rains anymore down here, and it's going to.. I'm going to need lessons on how to shoot through thick submarine portholes. Grrrrrr :?
About how much EV compensation will I need and how do I correct for the defraction?
Jarrell

I think the abberitions in the thick glass are the deal killer. Try an ark.....you'll have loads of fun trying to photo the animals, two by two!

Time to visit St. Louis.

Jarrell said:
If it rains anymore down here, and it's going to.. I'm going to need lessons on how to shoot through thick submarine portholes. Grrrrrr :?
About how much EV compensation will I need and how do I correct for the defraction?
Jarrell

It's the only week of the year where we get 70 degrees, no humidity and blooming Magnolia's. Heck Jarrell, you'll feel right at home.

Tom

Forget the submarine or the Ark...better still, get a wetsuit, a tank and regulator and a housing for your camera. You will have enough money left over for a strobe! Practice a little in the driveway or back yard, then hop a jet to Bonaire and come home when it all dries up! :D 8)

George, you should see the lake in my front yard! It's about 25 feet long by 20 wide and in one spot about 6 inches deep. We built an addition on to the house..
35306338.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

35856997.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

now I get this lake every time it rains hard. I'll have to figure out a drain system for it. Probably cost as much as a new D2H!
Jarrell

Naw, don't bother with the drainage system. Throw some little trout in there, add a dock, and get some great pics fishin' as the sun goes down!! *LOL* Next time I'm zipping by your door, I'll drop off a kayak for you and Hannah *LOL* (I should be sorry for these nasty comments about all your rain, but then again, I DID have to suffer all winter with your nasty comments of "oh, it was 70F today" so payback's a b*tch!) Love ya, Jarrell. :wink:

OK, looking at your photos, it's clear you have built your addition in the middle of the natural drainage draw, blocking the water from it's desired exit. There are several solutions, one would be to install a yard drain and run it around the addition, another would be to bring in fill and fill up the depression. One possible problem with the latter is that I don't know the status of the material under the lawn, does it drain well, or does the water hang there forever and a day? If it does drain well, the extra fill should work just fine, if not, some sort of a cistern may be needed. Another caution, if you are going to rely on infiltration, be sure it is over 100 feet away from the nearest part of a septic system and 75' from a well (or more, depending on local codes. My PE doesn't extend to GA!)
If you go the fill route, you might be ok even if the soil doesn't drain well, just make sure the fill is graded to shed the water away from the house.
This could be a job for Bubba, though the thought of him on a bulldozer near a house gives me the cold sweats.......

Jarrell said:
Jarrell

Ahem...being a lifelong Navy man I have to tell you, like Santa Claus, there are port holes in submarines.....at least the ones I was in!

Sorry for the lame humor, but the title was too good to pass up.

Rich :?

Jarrell
Sounds like a job worthy of you and Bubba pulling off cmon two world wise men like yourself should be able to tackle this project!

I've come up with another of my lame-brain ideas and I hope it works. Why not simply buy a small pump that attaches to a common garden hose and pump the water away and down hill. A google search shows many varieties, some that even attach to drills. It would have to be one that isn't harmed when run dry and a strainer to keep debris out.
Hmmmm......
Jarrell

Jarrel

i suggest the following;I think you've got soil investigation for the building foundation,look were the sand layer is located and drill holes of diameter
minimum 25 inches fill them with a material that drains very well,(special draining sand or gravel)
I think your top layer is clay wich won't let the water trough
If your groundwater level is high I would lay also a drain in gravel with the upper 10 inches with sand,it ruines your garden right now but you'll enjoy a dry garden the coming years.
If the drain doesn;t work correctly help it with a pump make a little pumpcellar with a level indicator on it so it will turn on automatticly

The first option is the best it all depends on your ground water level,if you've got any questions I'll be glad to answer them

OT I tried to ran spell checker on the text didn't start so forgive any mistakes

Hans,
I appreciate the help. I bought a little pump which I attach to the garden hose, plug it in on the front porch and in a couple of hours the water is gone. At least it's a temporary fix until I decide what to do.
Thanks Hans!
Jarrell

Latest threads

Top Bottom