Shooting through the fence!

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Harry Lavo, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Sometimes the only way to get the shot you want is to shoot right "thru" the fence. Anybody else have examples?

[​IMG]
    1/250s f/2.8 at 200.0mm iso800

2. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    no offense Harry, but here's some that are in focus;

DSC_4500copyw.

DSC_5642ZPw.

DSC_8770pZw.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  4. Really sharp shots, Frank, per usual. And not a sign of fence! Thanks.

ps. and thanks for revealing your workflow in another thread. It has helped refine my own with better results.

5. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    You can see a hint of fence in the bokeh of this one.

Completely unprocessed JPEG from a 300mm, f/2.8, 1/2000, ISO 1600, and That Other Brand (pardon me, I'm new to the black and gold):
    b7d1737f.

6. Nice shots, Jim. I especially like intensity of #2 and #3.

I don't take offense at your comment but only note that the shot was taken at 1/250s f/2.8 at 200.0mm iso800 at 9:48pm during a night baseball game. By that time, at that speed, most of the photographers had quit. And I had to use some Neat Image because of the iso800 noise. So I'm satisfied with the quality given the conditions.

7. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    It's easiest to use big glass (i.e. 300/2.8 or bigger) when shooting through a fence. That way you do not see the fence in your image at all though the fence could add to your composition at times.

8. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    thanks, Harry. I'd like to publicly apologize for my previous comment. it was uncalled for, and not what is indicative of Cafe behavior.:wink:

background; you all know how it is. you get praise and thanks from parents thanking us for taking the time to do what we do, which is very rewarding. a couple days ago, I got a smartalec email from a guy giving me a hard time because I only got two pics of his son during a recent game. I guess I just need to realize that we can't please everyone, get over it, and quit taking it out on everyone else. :biggrin:

again, sorry Harry.

9. Don't let the parents get to you Harry. I shot an Ice Hockey game and had this kid on my "hitlist" because they reported that we didn't get any shots of their kid the previous game. Don't you know that he had 1 on ice shift the entire 13 minute period, could barely skate and never came within 20 feet of the puck.

Can't get em all...

Gary