1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Shooting with glasses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gladjo, Aug 17, 2009.

1. gladjo

gladjo Guest

I know this has been talked about but this time it's reading glasses. I find that I'm keeping them around when I shoot so I can look at the lcd on replay. I don't need them to see normally. After some experimentation, I find that if I shoot with them on everything seems to snap in focus through the viewfinder, even at distant objects. Is this right? Or are my eyes being fooled somehow?

2. Welcome to the world of over 40!

3. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    Your eyes are not being fooled. Sharper is sharper.

There is a eyepiece diopter focus adjustment which you should adjust to see the viewfinder lines or focus brackets most clearly. D200 page 16. The default viewfinder viewing distance is one meter distance I believe. The subject at infinity is viewed there (projected on that glass screen) as if at one meter distance. The viewfinder diopter adjustment is about that one meter.

4. Jim_B

Jim_B

Feb 25, 2009
    Independence, Mo.
    Try shooting with tri-focals...

5. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    I just keep them on my head until I needthem then slide them down to see and i keep my diopter adjusted for bright clear seeeing in the viewfinder.............

6. Over 40? Try 27. I try my best to not wear my glasses, but sometimes I just have to. :rolleyes: 

7. FisherPete

FisherPete

Nov 13, 2007
    Oregon
    Having now advanced to "progressive tri-focal" age, in addition to the ignomy of trying to see through the right part of my frequently smeared lenses, I also have to pay the piper for replacing the darned things every two years. Ain't health insurance great? Mine covers the first $140, but multicoated, hardened progressives are right up there with a 17-55 2.8 in price. I wonder which part of my body will fail next and how much it will cost to compensate. :/

8. gladjo

gladjo Guest

Aha! I thought the diopter adjustment was just so you could see all the numbers etc. in the finder. Thanks.

9. gladjo

gladjo Guest

Jim_B and Pete. I got fitted for trifocals several years ago. I couldn't get used to them. Always moving my head around. Felt like an owl. After a few days I put them in a drawer, never to be seen again. :biggrin:

Now I wear reading glasses when I need them (which seems to be a lot more often nowadays). :frown:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.