Shooting with old equipment

I'm upgrading from an N80 (film) to D200. It'll be my first digital SLR. My camera should arrive some time next week and I'm very excited to not have to develop my film after every time I shoot. I decided on the D200 because of the price. I couldn't afford a D90/D300, which is the camera that I wanted.

Does anyone here still use a D200, and do you find it adequate for amateur/hobby photographers?

Real Name
Chris
Welcome to the Cafe Super! A nice feature of your D200/N80 set is that the cameras will be almost identical in the way the controls are laid out and work.

Read the D200 sticky. The D200 is still a very good still camera.

Yep, I still use (and love) my D200 and find it more than adequate for me. However, I just picked up an n2020 35mm camera to get into film. :)

I completely missed that thread, thanks! I'm very excited to get the D200 :)

The only thing I didn't like about the D200 was the grip. The battery holder locking tab had a tendency to break. If you're going gripless, then it's not an issue! :smile:

I have a D200 and a D90. I use them both but for different things. Usually use the D90 inside unless flash is involved then either. Usually use the D200 with bigger lenses outside as it just balances better. I enjoy them both.

I upgraded from the D70 to the D200 several years ago. I've since moved to the D300 to the D700. But I've still got a D200 that is converted to an IR camera.

I struggled with the D200. I got good shots, but its low-light performance was an issue at times. Now that I shoot IR with it, I really don't have the same problems.

I think you'll enjoy the camera.

Heck, even the older D1x still takes wonderful pictures. Enjoy your 200!

Yes I agree, but the battery is the biggest issue on the D1x, the battery packs die young, and don't last long in the field. I used to carry the D1x with 4x batteries ...

Back onto the D200, it's a fantastic camera when used on lower ISOs.

I used a D200 for about 5 1/2 years until I bought a D800 last summer. I got some great shots with my D200 and I always liked the colors from the CCD sensor a lot. I always thought that it got kind of noisy after ISO 400 but in good light I really liked the results. The build is also very good. I think that you will enjoy the D200 a lot. See below for a couple of shots.

DSC_0062.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 1194799

Just upgraded from a 6 year old D200 to a D7000. No way would I give up my D200 just because I got an upgrade. Believe it or not, the D200 will focus better in low light than the D7000.

I can see myself carrying both from time to time.

Enjoy your D200. It was the top of the line at one time.

The only thing I didn't like about the D200 was the grip. The battery holder locking tab had a tendency to break. If you're going gripless, then it's not an issue! :smile:

yeah the catch broke on mine too. i just use a strip of black PVC electrical tape along the top edge of the door. closes it well & seals it better than just the catch too. it also peels off clean & leave no residue :wink:

Congratulations, and welcome to the Nikon Cafe. You have purchased a fine camera with great potential. I don't shoot my D200 much anymore, but I have not sold it because it is such a good camera. It was my first digital SLR as well.

Does anyone here still use a D200, and do you find it adequate for amateur/hobby photographers?
Adequate? Well it depends on what you want to shoot. For macros, I found it did pretty well.
12783-D200-00C_800x600.jpg

For sports, I got some decent shots using the 18-200VR. Using a 70-200VR I might have done better, but I'm happy enough with these D200 images. Shot from behind the 3rd base dugout, across the field to 1st base and cropped. Even at that distance and cropped, 10 Mp allows you to read the small numbers on the back of the player's helmet.
2687_800x600bdr.jpg

Of course the maximum frame rate is 5fps, so you have to be ready to capture the action, rather than rely on spray and pray.
2793_800x600bdr.jpg

Now if you shoot static things like cars, you may need to play with the colors out of the D200 to finally get what you want.
146802_900.jpg

I am also thinking of buying a D200 or D2x myself. The images produce look quite good.

Don't feel bad about buying a D200. The D2 series is a wonderful platform. I am on the search for a D2X myself as I had one for a month before it broke.

I love the D2 platform and the D200 will not disappoint.

It's the eye behind the box that makes these wonderful images.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom