Shooting with the Backdoctor and Orphelia

Hi you'll,

I was fortunate to be able to spend part of the day with Harris (backdoctor) and his sister, Ellen (she's much nicer and prettier than Harris BTW :biggrin: ).

Naturally we went down to the Viera Wetlands. Harris being a bit of a jinx brought tropical strom Orphelia with him. :eek: It was not a good day for shooting as it was windy, overcast and rainy. We ended up shooting at ISOs 620 and 800 for most of the day :Depressed

Anyhow the company was terrific and I had a great time. The pictures? not so good. But I figured why should I suffer alone so I'm gonna inflict a few on you.

The big news of the day (besides Orphelia) was spotting the return of the bald eagles to Viera. His eagle eye spotted them on the road to the local Starbucks.
35266479-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

the other raptors made an appearance
35266473-L.jpg

35266468-L.jpg

the regulars were there too
35266476-L.jpg

35266478-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry,

A bad day a Viera is like heaven anywhere else. :wink:

Excellent shots. :smile:

Flew said:
Harry,

A bad day a Viera is like heaven anywhere else. :wink:

Excellent shots. :smile:

Thanks Frank the weather could not have been much worst but the company was the best.

Hey Harry!
Glad to see the eagle is back! Can't wait to get back there. Now that Ophelia is on her way out, maybe soon. Like Mike said, that Caracara shot is fantastic!!! Hope to see you soon!

Hey lets get one thing straight! The weather was up there BEFORE I got up there and the storm has been STATIONARY for 3 days now. :eek:

Down by me, sunshine and clear skies, so who's the bad weather guy? Not me.... :cool:

That said, Harry and Linda are the best. I am honored to be able to have him take time from his busy schedule to take us around to his key spots... :smile:

It sure was fun not only to shoot, but to have time to just sit and talk about life and photography in general.

The rest of you who were stuck at work...hahahahahahahaha! OOOOOpppppps , sorry for that... :redface:

I'll try to post some shots asap, been out all day since.

Keith said:
Have to echo Franks comments :smile: Having said that, do all the raptors take turns sitting on the same stump. LOL :rolleyes:

Hey Keith,

Actually they do. Last week I was at the Wetlands. My first stop there is always The Tree. When I got there I thought it was empty but I saw there was a broad-winged hawk on the lower branch. I was shooting the hawk when it suddenly flew off as an osprey landed. I started shooting the osprey when he took off and was replaced by a caracara. 5 minutes later the caracara's mate arrived and pushed it off the branch.

B

bfjr

The tree the tree the tree :rolleyes: :redface:

To have an Eagle in the wild, how cool is that :wink:

Ok I give up, no more complaining about the tree. I love your Tree :biggrin: :biggrin:

You lucky @#$%@&*

Kevin Scott said:
Hey Harry!
Glad to see the eagle is back! Can't wait to get back there. Now that Ophelia is on her way out, maybe soon. Like Mike said, that Caracara shot is fantastic!!! Hope to see you soon!

Thanks Kevin. Anytime you want to come over let me know. if you need a place to sleep I still have two spare bedrooms.

Backdoctor said:
Hey lets get one thing straight! The weather was up there BEFORE I got up there and the storm has been STATIONARY for 3 days now. :eek:

Down by me, sunshine and clear skies, so who's the bad weather guy? Not me.... :cool:

That said, Harry and Linda are the best. I am honored to be able to have him take time from his busy schedule to take us around to his key spots... :smile:

It sure was fun not only to shoot, but to have time to just sit and talk about life and photography in general.

The rest of you who were stuck at work...hahahahahahahaha! OOOOOpppppps , sorry for that... :redface:

I'll try to post some shots asap, been out all day since.

It was a pleasure having you Harris. The weather cleared up as soon as you left. :biggrin:

I really enjoyed your visit plus getting to meet Ellen was a real bonus. Can't wait to see your shots.

bfjr said:
The tree the tree the tree :rolleyes: :redface:

To have an Eagle in the wild, how cool is that :wink:

Ok I give up, no more complaining about the tree. I love your Tree :biggrin: :biggrin:

You lucky @#$%@&*

The Tree is a sacred place to shooters throughout Viera. If it wasn't dead I would buy fertilizer for it. :biggrin:

Thanks Ben.

Wow you don't know what a bad day is. Here in the Northwest things are very slow. Bill Dewey and I spent a couple hours at our favorite spot yesterday after work. Neither of us got any shots. Now I did not know you Florida folks ever had to use ISO over 200 except maybe early morning, late evening. Here we use high ISO on a regular basis. Glad you had a good time. Sure wish we could joing you. Maybe some day. Happy shooting.

james thiel said:
Wow you don't know what a bad day is. Here in the Northwest things are very slow. Bill Dewey and I spent a couple hours at our favorite spot yesterday after work. Neither of us got any shots. Now I did not know you Florida folks ever had to use ISO over 200 except maybe early morning, late evening. Here we use high ISO on a regular basis. Glad you had a good time. Sure wish we could joing you. Maybe some day. Happy shooting.

This was the first time I have had to go over 400. It was a shock to the system. :Depressed If I wanted to shoot in lousy weather I would have stayed in NYC.

You and Bill have to come on down here and Harris and I will show you how to shoot with the lower ISOs. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom