1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

ShootingMenu/CustomMenu Banks

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by OHcorgis, Sep 6, 2008.

1. I am setting up my D200 and D300 according to Mike Hagen's bank set-up guides.

I wonder why there are two sets of banks? One in the Shooting Menu and a second in the Custom Settings menu. I need to set all of them? That would be eight banks set up in four sets identical.

And then when I choose one bank, say Action setting in the Shooting Menu, I have to change the bank in the Custom Settings to the Action Bank also?

Seems cumbersome and does not quite make sense. Can someone clue me in?

I changed my D200 to the settings and so far it has helped.

2. More question: My D300 was just returned to me from Nikon Repair. When I opened up Custom Setting Bank is was already filled out to ALLSETTINGS, SUN, SPORTS, LOW-LIGHT. I don't think I did this myself and the Shooting Menu Bank is blank.

The settings are different than the recommended settings for D300 by Mike Hagen. Now I don't know what to do, leave it or change it. Kind of interesting.

3. RJLOMMD

RJLOMMD Guest

Now those headings for settings sound very interesting. Would you share what kinds of settings are contained in each of those categories? Would, for example, "auto-ISO=ON" be part of the LOW LIGHT bank?

4. SteveT

SteveT

May 27, 2008
    Greenville, SC
    I have just got a D200 myself and have been looking at the banks and settings. I would be interested in learning the settings in the D200.
    Thanks for any info.

5. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    They're probably fine as a starting point, but my preference would be to consider my own shooting needs and create banks as desired to match them, rather than relying on what someone else has chosen. Also, without being very familiar with the decisions made for each bank Choosing and using the correct one would be a bit hit and miss.
    There are 2 sets of banks because they each control different sets of settings. You need only set ones that you wish to use, and you can't have "four sets identical" because the different banks control different camera settings.
    If, to shoot "action" you need/want to use a specific bank of custom settings and shooting settings, yes. Once again my suggestion is to be as familiar as possible with what you are setting and why, rather than just relying on someone else's set of settings.
    There are 2 sets of independent settings, each with four storage banks. There is not a bank of unified settings.
    Well, once you figure out why it has helped you'll have a bit better idea of what your settings are doing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.