ShootingMenu/CustomMenu Banks

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by OHcorgis, Sep 6, 2008.

1. I posted this under General/Technical questions, now I think it should be here.

My D300 was just returned to me from Nikon Repair. When I opened up Custom Setting Bank is was already filled out to ALLSETTINGS, SUN, SPORTS, LOW-LIGHT. I don't think I did this myself and the Shooting Menu Bank is blank.

The settings are different than the recommended settings for D300 by Mike Hagen. Now I don't know what to do, leave it as Nikon set it or change it to the Mike Hagen settings.. Kind of interesting.

I set up my D200 according to Mike Hagen's bank set-up guides.

I wonder why there are two sets of banks? One in the Shooting Menu and a second in the Custom Settings menu. I need to set all of them? That would be eight banks set up in two sets of four identical.

And then when I choose one bank, say Action setting in the Shooting Menu, do I have to change the bank in the Custom Settings to the Action Bank also?

Seems cumbersome and does not quite make sense. Can someone clue me in?

2. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    There is a difference between the 2 I think, I'm pretty sure I read that in Thom Hogan's guide somewhere, I'll try to find it and give you a quote.

Also, what are these Mike Hagen recommended settings?

3. I have no idea why Nikon changed your settings but I would guess they reloaded the wrong settings. Regardless, if it were mine I would set the camera up my way. I see no reason why you should not set it however you want. If you're still curious call them on Monday and ask why they changed them.

4. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Birgit -

They are two different things. The Shooting Menu deals with things that are a bit more general in nature like how you want to set-up the naming of your files, what type of format (jpeg, NEF)you want to shoot in, whether you want to use auto ISO or not and the sensitivity levels if you do use auto. Other things things like how you want to handle WB and apply in camera D-Lighting.

These settings can usually work well with any Custom Settings you are using but you can also set them to be more specific for a particular Custom Setting Menu. So for example if you are shooting in a Custom Setting for landscapes and you like to set the WB & ISO yourself you may want to set a Shooting Menu called "landscapes" and use that in conjunction with your "Landscape" Custom Setting. It saves you from having to change all those things before a shoot.

I'm sure you've noticed the Custom Settings deal with things that are more specific to a certain type of shooting, like what type of AF, metering etc. For example if you were shooting sports you may want AF-C 9 point, maybe 6fps in Continous shooting and 50 shots in continous release. Maybe for sports you want to use the AF-On button for focusing, etc.

I use a Shooting Menu called Sports and have a Custom Settings set up called Sports. So if I'm going out to shoot sports I just use both of those and I'm good to go...in theory. I say in theory because I've only had my D300 for a few days now and still have a lot to learn. I'm sure others will chime in and be much more helpful. This is just my understanding of the relationship between the two.

Have fun!

5. Thank you. You are the second user to tell me that in fact, the two banks are set differently. This certainly makes more sense. I set my D200 identically, will take a closer look at the D300 settings.

I have to think that the Nikon settings are rather like "Modes". I don't need settings for SUN and LOW LIGHT. So those are going bye bye.

Thank you all for your help.

6. Think of the Shooting menu Banks as film and the Custom Setting banks as camera. The Shooting menu affects images and the Custom Setting menu affects how the camera operates.

7. Glad to hear you have your camera back Birgit.

Marlene

8. It's odd that any settings were there. I don't recall anything like what you mention when mine was new out of the box.
    glenn

9. JCole

JCole Guest

I just had a thought. Did Nikon actually send YOUR camera back to you? I'd check the serial number if you didn't name those banks yourself.

10. Same reason I thought it was strange they had those 'oddball' settings

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.