Shopping for a Dslr

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gilles, Jun 28, 2005.

1. I started looking for a Dslr and lenses yesterday. My first visit was a store whose advertising was showing a lot of stock but when I went to the store had about nothing (D50, D70s, SB800 flash and a 70-300 lens) I inquire for prices for lenses, the prices were suggested price from the list of Nikon and he said that he could not come down in prices and most of all he said that if I order a lens i would better take it and not let him down. That's it I left that place in a hurry.

This morning I went to another store and ordered a 70-200 f2.8 VR lens. The difference with the first store about $400 dollars. I must that saleman at that place really know his stock compare to the other one.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Local stores can rarely match the stock and prices of online/mail order firms, but that first guy sounds pathetic. If the price difference isn't too bad, I will usually order and buy from local merchants, but I have ordered some high $$ items online, and been delighted with the result.

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Chris :

I bought locally for some time, especially on bodies, but the local store adopted an "absolutely no returns" for any reason at all, including faulty merchandise (I watched them tell someone to call Nikon for a faulty product out of the box). I've dropped them. Cold. When I get the D2X (someday), it'll likely be from any of a couple of the mail-order outfits.

I'm loyal to local merchants so long as they play nicely. When they don't, I dump them and advise others to do the same.

John P.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Absolutely John.

My local store (The Guild) was the best. They did charge prices about 10-15% higher than I could get by shopping the internet, but they also would lend me lenses to try, exchange looong after the sale, and they had a bargain table that actually had bargains on it (like a $29 400mm f/5.6 MF Vivitar with Nikon mount!)

Unfortunately the city condemmed their store to put through a light rail (that hasn't happened yet!) but the owners, who are in their 70s decided to retire and not re-open the store.

My second choice, Tempe Camera, is good, and they almost always have what I want in stock, but they don't lend equipment (they do rent it) and I doubt they would extend their 10 day return period.

The era of the helpful local store isn't over, but it's waning.

5. Chris this is all trickle down from the manufacturers. In my business they have really made it much more stringent for the wholesalers, as far as size of orders, ordering special items, if not done in a larger order, and rules on returns are a bear. It is not easy for the little guy. We are doing it to ourselves, we are all becoming a wal mart nation. It is great you still frequent your local establishments. I am spoiled, B&H is my local establishment. CS Dayan

6. What I had done before going to the store is look at prices at Camera Canada to have a reference, the second store was too close to shop thru internet. The only camera from Nikon he had was a D70s I took a look at the camera but was not able to really appreciate as he had no batterie to put in it.

7. Giles if you are ever in NYC, B&H will blow your mind. The store opens at ten, by 10:01 there are literally 100s of people in there. I can't imagine having such a limited selection. But it is good you have somebody you feel comfortable with. Sometimes that is more important. CS Dayan

8. To have a good selection i would have to go to LL Lozeau in Montreal that's a 2 hours drive from where I live now, I use to go to that store a lot during the years I had an appartment in there.

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Chris :

When I go to visit Odessa, TX, there's a store there that I always visit because they're actually interested in their customers. Actually, that area and store are much more Canon oriented, and the selection of Nikon's a bit more limited by comparison, but I always enjoy visiting the store. The owner makes a point of coming out and talking with me each time.

We also have a local used store near my office that's quite good - the owner there is a supportive and helpful guy.

But you're right that the era of the local store is coming near to a close, and, IMO, a large part of that has been poor service and attitude in many such places.

John P.