Shopping for a new monitor.

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by Photo_Pro, Jul 8, 2008.

1. My Sony 23" 16 x 9 monitor is starting to give me claustrophobia. I'm looking at a DELL ULTRASHARP 3008WFP 30in LCD MONITOR. It's specs are pretty decent and unlike the Apple units, is Windows friendly. Anyone have an opinion on this unit?

2. Well, after searching for some time, I am still considering the Dell 3008 monitor. However, recently I became aware that Eizo has begun offering a 30" monitor, CG301. As always, Eizos' pricing is in the stratosphere MSRP $5299 - Street $4700 vs Dell at MSRP $1999 - Street $1715. The Eizo reps tout the 5-year warranty and 3 on the Back Light, the superior panel, the 16 bit processing, and the proprietary calibration software. But almost 3 times more? I know the dollar is weak but WOW! Can anyone offer any real world experience that justifies the Eizo pricing.

3. kickserv

kickserv Guest

4. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    My NEC 2690WUXi just came in, and I'm rediscovering a lot of my old photos with the new wide color gamut. I'm going to order the calibrator/software combo shortly.

I know its not a 30", but after being used to a pair of 19's (for years) at my office, and a single 19 at home this is enough real estate for me. Wearing glasses, I have to sit back a little further and turn my head a little to take it all in.

Dave

5. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Just a head up - the Dell 3008 is up to a rev. 2 which corrects some problems with the initial 3008 version. I have been looking at the apple 30" or the dell 3008. Can not find a 'deal' so I have not pulled the trigger on one yet.

6. BTW, there is a world of difference between the Dell 3007 and 3008. The latest Apple 30" and the Dell 3008 use the same panel. Support electronics differ.

I don't have $2k, but I am looking at the NEC 2490WUXi (+- $1100). Color gamut is holding me back though. Anyone have first hand experience of this monitor ?

7. Never mind - I see that the 26" version has a much wider gamut. Decision made.