Shore Erosion

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Gale, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Caused by Hurricanes in Florida last summer. Wow what a season that was. I see reconstructio, roofing, docks, roads still being fixed. The Hurricane season starts again June 1, 2005.

During my outing today stopped by the River. Always peaceful.

Shot with 24-120 VR VR VR :>))

Please critique. Really trying some landscape scenes.

2. O.k. Gale, since you asked for criticism:

In my opinion, in landscape photography there should be something in the pic to hold the viewer's eye, or something to guide the eye through the scenery. There is nothing like that in the first one. The second pic is somewhat better, but the AF seems locked on the water ripples which is the least interesting portion of this scenery. It might, e.g., help to bring out that underexposed, cut bush (I know you have sufficient PS skill to do that). Also, in my opinion, there is no evidence in both pics for hurricane damage, maybe a wider view would reveal it.

Generally - while we want to isolate subjects in close-ups, more ample DOF is desirable in landscape shots. The OOF rock in the fore ground of the second pic I find simply distracting. Of course, there are situations when we want to play with DOF, but as soon as you have shallow DOF to isolate one subject, it is not a landscape shot any longer.

I mean, the pics might serve to just document the place but to earn photographic merrits there must be more in it.

All that said, I admire your courage to post pics being far from flawless, to give yourself a chance to learn - that's probably a good attitude learned at the DPR Retouching Forum.

Posting perfect or nearly perfect pics and getting positive feedback also involves a learning process just by receiving confirmation that you got it right. However, it makes it nearly impossible to find critical comments or to find an anchor point for improvement suggestions.
    I like to look at great pics but sometimes I am getting tired commenting on them because I run out of words other than the stereotypic "good composition, nice colors, etc.", but I do it nevertheless, because any good feedback keeps our motivation alive.

Cheers

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Harry,

Thats what I meant when I posted the window shot from work. I often see things I like, but don't know how to get the shoot to convey the message.

I think what I saw first was the light filtering through. That is what caught my eye first. Then I wondered how could I make it interesting.

I guess I liked the light and shapes and forms.

Would like to be able to shot that again with interest but not sure how. I can't get a wider view.

This along a shoreline on the river. Not a place to wade.

I tried these shots before and when I looked at them they didn't tell anything. This time they looked a little better, however turnied out the same problem.

A Rock forum maybe. lololol.

I see this just can not be an area to shoot in this manner.

I may look at the area again and see if anything is possible with it.

Thank you so much for your feed back.

Is there a possible way to shoot that scene.
    That tree stump doesn't interest m, it was in the way actually :>))

I can't shoot it from the dock anymore, it was damaged and not been fixed yet. Maybe I need to wait until I have access again. Maybe I should forget it to.

What a challenging little area, I seem to like to look at.

Thanks again Harry.

4. Gale:

The questions and thoughts that you post are ones that I use when I look at a scene. I try to see how the light works on the scene. From what you say, you can not get closer to the scene and that may be the problem. I like to walk around the place before I start to shoot. If I can't, then I may not like what I get. It is always interesting that what we see in our minds eye will be different then what we capture. I would defeinetly go back to the scene at different times of the day to see how the light plays out. Don't give up. Your reflection shot was great.

Gil

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You Gil,

I have tried twice to photograh this scene. Once before the hurricanes and this one after. I got rid of the other pics so have no reference.

I will keep these to remind me of what was taken.

Maybe I will have to get brave and venture out into the river early one summer morning.

EEKKK never know what you will step on.

Don't know why I am so facinated about that one spot.

Thank you for your response. Very helpful.

6. Very good point!

7. Keep at it Gale.

Landscapes are a combination of the place, the viewing position and the light.
    I occassionally find a place that I know would be fantastic shot - the challenge is in finding the right spot to view it from and to catch it in the right light. You've obviously found somewhere that you know is "right", the next stage is to find the "right" place to shoot it from - and to wait for the "right" light conditions.

Try visiting the spot at different times of the day, early morning, early evening just, after a rain shower when the sun has come back out...

Can you get across the other side and shoot from there ? Is it a straight section of river or can you get a better angle from further up/downstream.
    If it's a stark and bare shot - try converting it to B&W - some landscapes only become apparent when you remove the colour element.

Walk around a lot and look for viewpoints - which needn't necessarily be high spots. You're just looking for a somewhere that will give you the view that your trying to achieve.
    If you do find a good spot, make a mental (or even physical) note and come back to it occassionally - that way when the weather & conditions finally come right, you'll know exactly where you want to be to get that shot.

One warning though - if you do get hooked on landscapes - it generally means lots of pre-dawn wake up calls !

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Doug,
    Thank you for the hints and tips.
    Isn't early morning always the best light after a long week of work and don't want to get up sat. morn. :>))) (or Sun) orrr just don't feel like going out that early. Sure takes effort sometimes.

Well this place has hardly no walk about room and the other side is toooo far. Intercostal waterway.

I will try wading out some and see what it looks like. :>))