Short Black Crowned Night Heron sequence

Discussion in 'Birds' started by goodrich62, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Caught this girl(?) at the Palo Alto WLP. She had a nest close and was in no hurry to fly off. She seemed more curious then startled.
    What do you think.

Maybe if I ignore him he will go away
    [​IMG]

Now she acknowledges
    [​IMG]

Seeing if I look better out of 1 eye
    [​IMG]

By the way do they look dark on my monitor at home they are fine on my laptop they seem very dark? Do they look too dark?

Thanks
    Rich

2. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Rich,

Love those shots. We don't get too many night herons here so I'm a tad jealous. The shots look like the bird was in shadows so the pictures appear to be an accurate reflection of the scene and not too dark to me.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very, very nice Rich!! :smile:

4. Harry,
    Thanks, Yes when ever I can get them they are almost always in trees. I very rarely see them wading like other herons. They do most of their hunting at night so it is not surprising. I love their bright red eyes.

Rich

5. Hi Rich, love your shots. Expressive poses of the heron!

6. Thanks Frank and Dao. It means a lot comming from you guys.
    Dao I just looked at some of you older posts you have some great Macro shots. Were most made with the Tamron 180? I am debaiting between that and the Sigma. I find the concept of a Macro 180 for flowers then adding a TC to give it a little more reach for wildlife intriging. My 80 400 is nice but very slow

Rich

7. most impressive Rich. The expressions are well captured and the exposure seems dead on to me.
    Dave

8. Have to echo Dave's senitments, well done Rich! luv the expression on #2, nicely done!

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Rich - These are wonderful images. I love the expressions and your comments! As someone else said, the bird seems to be in the shade so the darkness is appropriate. I would like to see one lightened just a bit. You nailed the exposure, so you've got room to play before you start loosing any highlight detail. Actually I would try tweaking levels first.

Gordon

10. Gordon,
    Thanks for the feedback I will go back and do some PP and see how they come out.

Rich

11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Well done Rich....... Great bird with great eyes and you caught a very interesting expression
    Not to dark to me either.