Short Tripod question.

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by sjlarue, Sep 22, 2008.

1. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Looking for a tripod that is about 18" to 2' compressed and extends up to three feet, AND can hold a heavy lens. Kind of like a gun tripod. I need it so I can carry a compact tripod in my car for taking pictures in low close to ground situations. I don't want to carry my big one out into a wetlands, just to open it up and extend one leg 6 inches.

I have seen some of the table top ones but they looked too light for a bigger lens. Any help would be appreciated.

2. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    I have thought about making a set out of galvinized pipe and put them on my Bogen but I thought that there has to be something out there that is better.

3. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    The Really Right Stuff Ground Pod? Not sure of the max height, but it otherwise fits your requirements..

4. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks for the recomendations. It's amazing that something that is half the size cost close to the same as a full size model...plus the head. I'll have to look into it more. :smile:

5. The Gitzo Traveler Titanium has a folded height of <16.2" and an extended height of >55". It will hold 8kg of weight, or about 17.9 lb. I am not sure I would take it into a marshy area though.

6. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    yeah it looks to "pretty" to take out into wet areas. I think I'm getting the low boy, It's basically what I need. I guess I'll need to get some sort of head for it as well.:biggrin:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

7. We have the Walt Anderson Panning Ground Pod...
    I bought a skillet, this sits in it, pretty stable and can slide along the ground. Holds a 500mm lens fine.

Can get them: Artie Morris or Moose Peterson

[​IMG]