Shot an entire event using a pair of Sony A7 III bodies - Thoughts...

This weekend I shot an event entirely with two Sony A7 III cameras and the Sony 16-35mm f/4 and 70-200mm f/4 native E lenses. I shot the same event last year with two Nikon D750 cameras. My thoughts on shooting a large scale event has convinced me that Sony mirrorless is ready for professional use (in regards to being a reliable work tool). Interestingly enough the big advantage with a mirrorless setup is the ability to use the tilt live view LCD with continuous AF. Sony's AF is at the very least on-par, if not better than a D750 when it comes to focus tracking and definitely superior with a larger buffer. Also the Sony NP-FZ100 batteries were good for about 1000 shots plus with still over 60% battery life remaining on each body. I have no doubt I could shoot a full day event with one battery and get at least 2000 frames.

It's also worth noting at this event which hires from a pool of LA based photographers (event/portrait/street/wedding shooters), Sony has become a major disruptor. I saw more Sony A7 III bodies this year amongst various photographers, especially with Canon users running both Canon DSLRs and Sony MILCs.

Nikon shooters on the other hand seem a bit stuck. The current Nikon DSLRs and lenses are good enough and my talk with other Nikon photographers is that there's a bit of confusion whether or not to invest in the Z right away or buy into tried and sure technology like the D850.

A couple things worth noting comparing Nikon and Sony. Sony's handling of metering even with their newer bodies still lags behind in aspects like matrix metering, AWB and auto ISO. Nikon has these areas nailed down to near-perfection. Sony's mirrorless AF though is amazingly accurate and being able to go back and forth using the EVF and LCD was great especially for low and high angle shots while shooting C-AF burst. Also what I didn't like is the slight lag in startup time from off to on. It takes a second or so before you can start shooting. I'm sure something like the Sony A9 is better, but at least with the A7 III, there's still a slight lag. At this point in technology though, I'd rather dabble in multiple systems. I find regardless of camera as long as your raw presets are solid, image output should be similar no matter what camera is used.

Here are a couple shots using the A7 III and either the 16-35/4 and 70-200/4 lenses. Check it out!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker Bike/Dog Walk Day 01 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker Bike/Dog Walk Day 01 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker Bike/Dog Walk Day 01 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr​

Last edited:
Also I just want to add it blows my mind Nikon didn't follow-up with at least one DL point and shoot camera after they cancelled the Nikon 1 series. I used my Nikon J5 with the 10mm 2.8 and it makes a great emergency camera! Nikon would sell a boatload of these cameras to working photographers or Nikon shooters who want a solid pocket camera! :rolleyes::(

Shot with the Nikon 1 J5 and 10mm 2.8:

Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker Bike/Dog Walk Day 01 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr​

Real Name
Andrew
Also I just want to add it blows my mind Nikon didn't follow-up with at least one DL point and shoot camera after they cancelled the Nikon 1 series. I used my Nikon J5 with the 10mm 2.8 and it makes a great emergency camera! Nikon would sell a boatload of these cameras to working photographers or Nikon shooters who want a solid pocket camera! :rolleyes::(

View attachment 1632542
I agree. I was very interested in the DL line and was confused that they would release the KeyMission line and not the DL. I would still to this day consider one of the DL cameras.

I agree. I was very interested in the DL line and was confused that they would release the KeyMission line and not the DL. I would still to this day consider one of the DL cameras.
When shooting jobs, I usually carry two bodies and a third auxiliary camera for backup. The J5 works great, colors and image quality is very good. For the price, I prefer it over an RX100 series camera and I have the ability to swap the lenses out.

A couple more from day 2 of this event. I want to make note I shot entirely on the electronic shutter and my keeper rate was much higher for continuous focus tracking. Now I'm at a crossroad if I want to also invest into Nikon Z (for Nikon glass/strobe compatibility) or go all Sony with the A9 (fast readout for artificial lighting and no rolling shutter)! :D

All shot with the A7 III and either the 16-35/4 or 70-200/4 lenses:

Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker 5K/10K Run/Walk and Kiddie Run Day 02 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker 5K/10K Run/Walk and Kiddie Run Day 02 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I have tried an A9 and I have tried the Z7 in store. I think there are few things to consider.
1. Ergonomics, Sony does not score many points here small buttons weirdly recessed into the body, complicated menu structure. The Nikon felt great. This is important to me.
2. AF, The A9 has a phenomenal Eye AF and from their pre announcements, it looks like its going to get way better. The Nikon could be catch up here with their eye AF announcements.

If I where you I would wait and see here until summer when this has all panned out, if you can wait

I have tried an A9 and I have tried the Z7 in store. I think there are few things to consider.
1. Ergonomics, Sony does not score many points here small buttons weirdly recessed into the body, complicated menu structure. The Nikon felt great. This is important to me.
2. AF, The A9 has a phenomenal Eye AF and from their pre announcements, it looks like its going to get way better. The Nikon could be catch up here with their eye AF announcements.

If I where you I would wait and see here until summer when this has all panned out, if you can wait
Yeah I forgot to mention, ergonomics on the A7III aren't great. The latest Nikon bodies feel way better in hand. Though Nikon omitted the scroll dial which they had on the Nikon 1 series, not sure why they got rid of it on the Z. I prefer that method of navigating through photos with the Sony. Also Sony copied Nikon's 'My Menu' so once set there's very little menu diving.

I've been also thinking of just getting a D850 for those times when I just want a solid DSLR! So many choices!

I'm very pleased with my new D850, the AF accuracy and tracking alone is worth the upgrade, and a bunch of small ergonomics changes to the better, add a grip and en-EL18 batteries and you are at 9fps
What do you think between a D4S and a D850? I don't really need the high MP and I somewhat miss a flagship body or are the D850 new AF and features that more advanced?

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
The af is that much better on the D850. Especially tracking, but also pin point accuracy in other modes. I have not had to fine tune any lenses and I have quite a few.. but if the 45mp is to much why not check out the D500? Same features and pixel density, crop factor with 20 mp - cheaper and 10fps, one heck of a camera

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
A couple more from day 2 of this event. I want to make note I shot entirely on the electronic shutter and my keeper rate was much higher for continuous focus tracking. Now I'm at a crossroad if I want to also invest into Nikon Z (for Nikon glass/strobe compatibility) or go all Sony with the A9 (fast readout for artificial lighting and no rolling shutter)! :D

All shot with the A7 III and either the 16-35/4 or 70-200/4 lenses:

View attachment 1632636

View attachment 1632637

View attachment 1632638

View attachment 1632639

View attachment 1632640

View attachment 1632641
Jonathan,
the colors are looking weird, a bit like HDR...

Kind regards
Klaus

Real Name
David

View attachment 1632542
Especially the DL 18-55, that would have been GREAT.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom