Shot my first horse competition

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by nipprdog, Jul 27, 2008.

1. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    A customer who has bought several baseball photos over the last two years, hired me to shoot her daughter in the 4H fair. She also arranged for me to shoot all of the kids. I shot the Pole Bending, and Barrel Racing. These are from the Pole Bending event. I was unsure about DOF. For straight on shots, I wanted to the kid's face, and the horse in focus. So I shot mostly at f5. In hindsight, I could have opened it up a little more to blur out the distracting backgrounds. :wink: All with D300 and 80-200 2.8.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nice shots, jim
    they'll be happy with these
    bright sunny day....
    selective focus with a much wider aperture would have made this images even better
    but... you might have needed an ND filter to accomplish that because of the sun
    you did a very nice job

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, if only the venue was located in a open pasture. The action is very good, I can really sense the urgency of the competition. StL Don is the perfect person to ask if you want to improve on the next outing.

4. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Jim,

These look great! I really like #8!

Just for fun, howzabout a portrait crop of 8? Give the rider a little head room up top, then down to, say, bottom of the horses chest or top of his legs, but not at any joints. [Sorry, it's just me. I like tight crops :wink:]

You'll have to change your screen name now. How about nipprnag? :biggrin:

5. Nice action, to bad the ring was so small and the backgrounds so close, that 5.6 would be good for the head on shots though.

6. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Thank you, Greg. The sun was even a BIGGER problem during the Barrel Racing, when it was setting. There are 5-6 spaced out tall trees behind the arena. Imagine a field striped with 15 yards of sunlight, then 15 yards of shade, then 15 yards of sunlight, then.... :eek:

Thanks, Frank. These are actually the 'clean' background shots. :biggrin: The shots to my left were........well...............:eek:

:biggrin:

Thanks, Dennis. I left that pole in there to show how the rider was not completely by it, but yet focused, on the next gate. Here is a slightly tighter version;

[​IMG]

Let me think about..........................NOT!!! :biggrin:

Thaanks, Brooks. Without a doubt, some of the worst backgrounds I've ever dealt with.

7. hmmmm
    horrible
    glad you were out there, in the trenches,
    trying to capture memories

8. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA

Nice! Well, I like it. :redface:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

9. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

wow ... looks like a good time ... hopefully you will pick up a few new clients from the gig !

10. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    If you can afford a horse you can afford a few 8x12's, lol

Nice sharp and good exposure, backgrounds often seem to suck in these types of venues