Shots from Belmont Park Racetrack, NY

Just a gorgeous day at Belmont yesterday. Anyone who lives in or around NYC, or from out of town visiting, must pay a visit to these beautiful grounds. If anyone would like, feel free to drop me a memo, perhaps we could meet up.

All shot with my D3 and Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX APO HSM Version I.

Thanks for looking,

Mike

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like that refresh of your 70-200 Sigma was cash well spent. These look terrific!

Also being familiar with what can invariably be less-than-optimal bright lighting angle sources late-afternoon at Belmont, you sure made that light work advantageously for your captures.

The color renditions look 'right', and the shadow detail lacks the bland blockiness that can be so prevalent in higher-contrast shots as these.

All in all, this is a fine set you can be proud of.

Now all I need to do is get my physical issues resolved, and the sooner the better! I look forward to joining you with a few new tools to put through their paces - with your assistance, of course!

[And as Mike suggests, a day at Belmont Park rewards you with a comfortably-paced day of therapy that few venues can offer, with or without camera in hand.]
(Hint: Don't leave home without it!) :smile:

p.s. - Has anyone EVER taken a flattering photo of Jean-Luc Samyn? Every photo I've taken of him looks EXACTLY like yours! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
very rich colors!
Thanks Derrick

It looks like that refresh of your 70-200 Sigma was cash well spent. These look terrific!

**Thanks John. It is focusing nicely and is sharp...but a 200 f/2 it is not:smile:**

Also being familiar with what can invariably be less-than-optimal bright lighting angle sources late-afternoon at Belmont, you sure made that light work advantageously for your captures.

The color renditions look 'right', and the shadow detail lacks the bland blockiness that can be so prevalent in higher-contrast shots as these.

All in all, this is a fine set you can be proud of.

**Thank you. Yes it takes obedience to hold those highlites and be able to nicely pull out the shadows in higher contrast shooting. Obedience that my wife is going to have to show the new puppy we just got....all I need right now:frown:**

Now all I need to do is get my physical issues resolved, and the sooner the better! I look forward to joining you with a few new tools to put through their paces - with your assistance, of course!

**Hang in there....No doubt you have been through tougher:657:**

[And as Mike suggests, a day at Belmont Park rewards you with a comfortably-paced day of therapy that few venues can offer, with or without camera in hand.]
(Hint: Don't leave home without it!) :smile:

**U got that right....**

p.s. - Has anyone EVER taken a flattering photo of Jean-Luc Samyn? Every photo I've taken of him looks EXACTLY like yours! :wink:

**Who's that!**

**Take care John...and get the hell better!**

Thanks David, much appreciated.

"p.s. - Has anyone EVER taken a flattering photo of Jean-Luc Samyn? Every photo I've taken of him looks EXACTLY like yours!

**Who's that!**"

Samyn is the jockey in your first shot. He seems to always convey the look of, "Oh heck, do I really have to do this?"

Not a big deal, really. It just made me laugh to myself.

Most people project a variety of facial expressions which reflect their feelings at the moment - happy/elated, depressed, pensive, etc. Mr. Samyn always appears to have a distraught appearance. I probably have a dozen photos of him and they all look exactly like yours!

Thanks for the kind words my friend. I can't wait to regain my motor skills!

"p.s. - Has anyone EVER taken a flattering photo of Jean-Luc Samyn? Every photo I've taken of him looks EXACTLY like yours!

**Who's that!**"

Samyn is the jockey in your first shot. He seems to always convey the look of, "Oh heck, do I really have to do this?"

Not a big deal, really. It just made me laugh to myself.

Most people project a variety of facial expressions which reflect their feelings at the moment - happy/elated, depressed, pensive, etc. Mr. Samyn always appears to have a distraught appearance. I probably have a dozen photos of him and they all look exactly like yours!

Thanks for the kind words my friend. I can't wait to regain my motor skills!
Only kidding John....I know 'Samyn on The Green' very well.

Now get that new Tammy out to the track!

Mike

Yeah, I'm real curious to see how it performs in the 250-300mm range - and we know exactly where to test it for that!

My 70-300 Nikkor is very good - in fact its shortcomings are likely my inconsistent technique.

The 300 f/4 has surely been the lens of choice there, but the ability to recompose on the run, and after reading the favorable responses from the group here - well it caught my interest.

A fair price plus rebate plus Tamron being 'just down the road apiece' - aw, what the heck. I'm just agonizing around here anyway... and either way I'm keeping it since I've got four other Nikon users in my family.

We'll see... hopefully Soon!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom