Shots from my trip with Patrick and Gregg

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    As Patrick has already ably shown, he, fellow Cafe member Greg Geising, and I had a very good trip to the Guntersville dam yesterday. There were dead periods (we were there for 6 1/2 yours), but there were also periods of tremendously exciting activity. I went through and picked just a few of the shots that I took, and I still have barely scratched the surface.

In any case, here are a few examples. All taken with the D2H / 300 2.8 with the 1.7 TC.

Early morning shots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some from a little later:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a really weird species, I think called photographus chimpus maximus (whatever, he seems pretty pleased with himself): :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

And in addition to the GBH's (which were all over the place), we saw some raptors. Note that these are pretty deep crops, but then I didn't expect to see these guys at all:

Eagle way up:
    [​IMG]

Osprey (also up pretty high):
    [​IMG]

I got more, but they'll have to wait until the next post. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2005
  2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Nice photos Frank.. But I thought you had a D2X?

3. Very nice pictures. I am still amazed at the wing span
    on these guys.

4. Wow Frank, those shots are super. I could tell I was in for a treat from the very first shot on. Well done.

5. great shots and I bet it was a great outing amongst youz guys

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent there Hawk Eye :>))))

7. You have gone and done it again Frank. These are terrific. You sure know how to take pictures of those GBH's. We could use a little of your sunshine here on the west coast. But after seeing the hurricane damage I will never complain again.

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Frank

Not bad for a guy with a drawl :)

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Finally! You got them posted. These are great! Your GBH series is what I would expect from a seasoned GBH stalker. I had a great time. Wish I could go back tomorrow but I'll be at work on Labor Day.

Thanks for sharing!

10. Great job Frank you are the true GBH king, and throw in an eagle and osprey for good luck. I couldn't find the chimpus maximus in my Sibley

11. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Hey, ya'll be careful what you say. We think we talk normal down here.

Nice shots Frank. I guess I'll have to catch the eagles some other time.

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Incredible captures...the GBH action is unreal. Did you have to sneak up on Patrick to get that close-up?

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank,

I didn't sneak up on him, this was shot with the 300 2.8 + 1.7 TC (510mm). He was waaaaaay down the shore from me. :smile:

Thanks,

14. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Morning Frank
    Very well done
    Beautiful animals, beautifully depicted... what good be better :smile:

15. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

16. Frank, it looks like you guys had a great time. I always enjoy your marvelous bird photos. I have one question, though. I've seen other pictures too, but the one you did of Patrick reminded me. What is that mounting support/head Patrick is using on the tripod called? Everyone seem to use this when they have heavy lenses and do a lot of birding like you do.

Sorry I am such a dummy :frown:

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Virginia,

You're not a dummy, you've just never seen a Wimberley Sidekick. It is a wonderful device that essentially renders the cam / lens 'weightless' while shooting, since they are balanced at the pivot point of the Sidekick. Makes taking pictures of everything from flying birdies to butterflies a whole lot easier. I also have one, but usually use the full Wimberley, which is heavier, but doesn't require a ballhead. I don't see how folks shoot without using one of these neat gizmo's. :smile:

18. Thanks, Frank. What kind of tripod and ball head do you need for the Wimberley Sidekick? Do you have any idea how heavy the tripod, head and Wimberley Sidekick that Patrick is using are? I know the lens and camera can easily add another 7-8 lbs. or more.

Thanks,

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Virginia,

I know almost exactly what Patrick's set-up weighs, because I have the same Sidekick / ballhead as he does, and a very similar tripod. The Sidekick / Acratech Ultimate ballhead combo weighs 2 lbs 2 ozs. My tripod (A Gitzo 1325) weighs 3.5 lbs. Patrick's (I think it is a Feisel) is more like the Gitzo 1227 which weighs closer to 3 lbs.

If you are real interested, you might PM Patrick. I think he may be willing to let the entire thing go as he is looking at the new Wimberley full head.