Shots From The Last Few Days

Today

I sat by the pond once again today. Not a lot of birds coming close by. So I sat still and waiting patiently. About an hour later, this Great Blue Heron showed up and was fishing in front of me. Not once but TWICE!!! It paid off, I got the images I wanted. Hope you like it!

Manual Exposure
Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 850 mm
ISO Speed 640
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash On, Return detected

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 872514

Tuesday

Female Anhinga - She was drying her feathers on the edge of the bank, there was no way to get a clean full body shot without having the grass in the photo. Therefore, I decided on this unconventional crop. Hope you like it.

Manual
Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1000)
Aperture f/6.7
Focal Length 1000 mm
ISO Speed 640
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash On, Return detected

Last Friday
Young Alligator

Manual
Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture f/13.0
Focal Length 1000 mm
ISO Speed 800
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash No Flash

View attachment 872516

1&2 are awesome, what is that in the bg that is making that color

3 is too hot on the head and wing and i don't like the crop

cool reflection on 4

I have the same question as Randy, what is in the background in the first 3 shots? Is it dry grass? It's a color I don't often see as background for water-oriented birds. I like it. Gotta feel just a little sorry for that fish but what a great shot to capture that!!

--Sarah

1&2 are awesome, what is that in the bg that is making that color

3 is too hot on the head and wing and i don't like the crop

cool reflection on 4
I have the same question as Randy, what is in the background in the first 3 shots? Is it dry grass? It's a color I don't often see as background for water-oriented birds. I like it. Gotta feel just a little sorry for that fish but what a great shot to capture that!!

--Sarah
Randy and Sarah,
The BG is water. Color came from the evening Sun. Not often we get that in FL.

Checking the histogram on the Anhinga, it was not over-exposed, histogram looks normal. I will tone down the highlights a bit more, it was just Sun was right on the feathers, giving it a glow feel. :)

Beautiful shots Troy. The heron shots are perfect. I do notice the flash in the eyes of both the heron and the fish but it does not detract from the photos. You're capturing some nice yellow/gold background colors lately.

Beautiful shots Troy. The heron shots are perfect. I do notice the flash in the eyes of both the heron and the fish but it does not detract from the photos. You're capturing some nice yellow/gold background colors lately.
Yeah, it was in the shade under the trees. The flash gives them catchlight :)
Love this pond. BG is great.

Troy, the flash is more than catch light IMO. A little more and it would look unnatural. But, happily, while it catches my eye, it does not detract from the image. I hate losing shots to flash reflection in the eye!

Troy, the flash is more than catch light IMO. A little more and it would look unnatural. But, happily, while it catches my eye, it does not detract from the image. I hate losing shots to flash reflection in the eye!
I should darken them. Thank you.

Nice shots Troy. I think bringing down the mid tones or dropping a control point on the light colored feathers and reducing brightness on the Anhinga only would make it better, as it is bright on my screen.

Are you using a flash bracket or something else to get the flash off the same plane as your lens? I am seeing a bit of "steel eye" from your flash, more so in #2. The lower part of the pupil appears to have that effect. Also, what flash and setting's for the the flash were you using?

Thanks for sharing these, and the backgrounds really add to these by the way. I would sit there more often:biggrin:

Nice shots Troy. I think bringing down the mid tones or dropping a control point on the light colored feathers and reducing brightness on the Anhinga only would make it better, as it is bright on my screen.

Are you using a flash bracket or something else to get the flash off the same plane as your lens? I am seeing a bit of "steel eye" from your flash, more so in #2. The lower part of the pupil appears to have that effect. Also, what flash and setting's for the the flash were you using?

Thanks for sharing these, and the backgrounds really add to these by the way. I would sit there more often:biggrin:
Jason, thank you.
I am using the Wimberley Bracket for the flash. I think it was due to a bit much of the flash output, I could have go 1/3 less output. I am using the the wimberley replacement foot so the flash is even higher than the lens.
I will fixed those eyes. Thanks again.

Here is the Anhinga repost

Attachments

Fixed the eye, moved the bird up in the frame a bit...

The Anhinga repost is so much better, good job on it. The other is great too. My buddy always joke about the Better Beamer, calling it the Better Burner as it can easily over power a shot as it can really crank out some light.

Great processing on these Troy.

The Anhinga repost is so much better, good job on it. The other is great too. My buddy always joke about the Better Beamer, calling it the Better Burner as it can easily over power a shot as it can really crank out some light.

Great processing on these Troy.
Jason, thank you.
You gave me a tip a long time ago in PP and I have been using that in my every shot since. :) thank you.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom