Shots from the pond

I've been very busy at work for the last month, but I try to make a point to get to the pond at least one morning on the weekends. Here are some shots from last Sat.

All taken with the D2H / 300 2.8, most with the 1.4 TC. The sun was in and out constantly, posing a challenge to keep the exposure setting correct (I shoot birds using manual metering). The GBH and LGH were both there. I got a ton of GBH shots. :smile:

Stalking:
34068316-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

34264920-O.jpg

34264112-O.jpg

Gotcha!!
34264115-O.jpg

Posing:
34268103-O.jpg

Flying:
34068330-O.jpg

34069070-O.jpg

And a LGH:
34068312-O.jpg

Nice shots Frank. Looks like the pond is getting a little more active. I'd like to try to get shots of that LGH sometime.

Chris, Patrick and I are thinking of going over to Guntersville Saturday morning if you are interested. :smile:

Absolutely fabulous pics Frank!!!! Luv #2, but all are great shots!!! Man these are big hummers though, glad their coming to your feeder in your back yard :rolleyes:

B

bfjr

Very very nice Frank
Is lugging the 300f2.8 much of a chore ?? You probably know why I'm asking :redface:

Great captures, Frank. Love the deployed wings position and the two in flight.

You're right. Birds shooting is addictive. Misses it a lot. :Depressed

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. :smile:

Ben, carrying the 300 2.8 is not a problem at all, and I'm a 58 year-old desk jockey. In fact, last Saturday, I carried it and the D2H, along with tripod, big Wimberley, the 1.4 and 1.7 TC's, and a bottle of water around in 90 degree+ conditions for 6 hours with no problems. When I move around, I just lock the Wimberley down, and put it on my shoulder. The whole assembly weighs only about 15 or 16 lbs.

Here are a couple more. :biggrin:

34294930-O.jpg

34068338-O.jpg

mike mac said:
Sweet stuff dead sharp nice colors looks like a fun morning, so when are the eagles back at Guntersville?

Thanks guys. :smile:

Mike, the Eagles are still in the Guntersville area now, but are usually on the nest in late December or early January. You have to be lucky to get close until they are back on the nest. Are you coming down to shoot them with us maybe? We can get you lots of GBH's and Gulls, Mallards, Canada Geese, and other species too. BTW, you can drive from Philly to Huntsville. :wink:

Flew said:
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. :smile:

Ben, carrying the 300 2.8 is not a problem at all, and I'm a 58 year-old desk jockey.
Here are a couple more. :biggrin:

Man, you really ARE an old soul now, aren't you????? :wink: And still walking, too, amazing.......

Don't know about you, Frank, but I think doing this stuff actually helps to keep me going. Get's my sorry butt up off the chair and outside.

Nice stuff, I, personally, like the "Reflection" shot from the second set myself.

By the way, given that you seem to have cultivated a personal rapport with this bird, I'd like to see a back-flip. Sort of a modified RR flip if you will. Just think, if you could entice the GBH to do this while at the same time doing an RR flip, you'd be famous :biggrin:

Retief said:
Man, you really ARE an old soul now, aren't you????? :wink: And still walking, too, amazing.......

Don't know about you, Frank, but I think doing this stuff actually helps to keep me going. Get's my sorry butt up off the chair and outside.

Nice stuff, I, personally, like the "Reflection" shot from the second set myself.

By the way, given that you seem to have cultivated a personal rapport with this bird, I'd like to see a back-flip. Sort of a modified RR flip if you will. Just think, if you could entice the GBH to do this while at the same time doing an RR flip, you'd be famous :biggrin:

Bill,

You're a nut. :wink:

I do have to agree with your 'get's me off my butt' point though. That session Saturday morning and a shorter one Sunday were the only real exercise that I got all week. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Outstanding series, Frank. As I began to scroll down to view the next image, I was expecting to see at GBH flipping a minnow into his mouth. Each image is outstanding...great composition, color and sharpness.

Flewwwwwwwwww

Your images are very beautiful.

Glad you posted. Was getting worride about you :>))

Was getting ready to call you a couple days ago.

Did you get anything from that Horrible hurricane ...

Latest threads

Top Bottom