Shots from the pond

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I've been very busy at work for the last month, but I try to make a point to get to the pond at least one morning on the weekends. Here are some shots from last Sat.

All taken with the D2H / 300 2.8, most with the 1.4 TC. The sun was in and out constantly, posing a challenge to keep the exposure setting correct (I shoot birds using manual metering). The GBH and LGH were both there. I got a ton of GBH shots. :smile:

Stalking:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotcha!!
    [​IMG]

Posing:
    [​IMG]

Flying:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a LGH:
    [​IMG]

2. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Nice shots Frank. Looks like the pond is getting a little more active. I'd like to try to get shots of that LGH sometime.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chris, Patrick and I are thinking of going over to Guntersville Saturday morning if you are interested. :smile:

4. Really nice Frank, you have done well on all of them. I like #2 the best and think it is a great shot.

5. Great shots Frank. I know what they're suppose to look like now.

louie

6. Absolutely fabulous pics Frank!!!! Luv #2, but all are great shots!!! Man these are big hummers though, glad their coming to your feeder in your back yard :rolleyes:

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Very very nice Frank
    Is lugging the 300f2.8 much of a chore ?? You probably know why I'm asking :redface:

8. Great captures, Frank. Love the deployed wings position and the two in flight.

You're right. Birds shooting is addictive. Misses it a lot. :Depressed

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the kind comments everyone. :smile:

Ben, carrying the 300 2.8 is not a problem at all, and I'm a 58 year-old desk jockey. In fact, last Saturday, I carried it and the D2H, along with tripod, big Wimberley, the 1.4 and 1.7 TC's, and a bottle of water around in 90 degree+ conditions for 6 hours with no problems. When I move around, I just lock the Wimberley down, and put it on my shoulder. The whole assembly weighs only about 15 or 16 lbs.

Here are a couple more. :biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Nicely done Frank! I really like the first shot with the rocky background.

Anthony

11. Sweet stuff dead sharp nice colors loosk lieka fun morning, so when are the eagles back at guntersville?

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks guys. :smile:

Mike, the Eagles are still in the Guntersville area now, but are usually on the nest in late December or early January. You have to be lucky to get close until they are back on the nest. Are you coming down to shoot them with us maybe? We can get you lots of GBH's and Gulls, Mallards, Canada Geese, and other species too. BTW, you can drive from Philly to Huntsville. :wink:

13. Frank thanks for the offer butat the projected rate of $4.00 plus per gallon I think I will have to wait a bit! :eek:

14. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Beautiful shots, as usual, Frank! Must be a wonderful place to shoot!

15. Man, you really ARE an old soul now, aren't you????? :wink: And still walking, too, amazing.......

Don't know about you, Frank, but I think doing this stuff actually helps to keep me going. Get's my sorry butt up off the chair and outside.

Nice stuff, I, personally, like the "Reflection" shot from the second set myself.

By the way, given that you seem to have cultivated a personal rapport with this bird, I'd like to see a back-flip. Sort of a modified RR flip if you will. Just think, if you could entice the GBH to do this while at the same time doing an RR flip, you'd be famous :biggrin:

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bill,

You're a nut. :wink:

I do have to agree with your 'get's me off my butt' point though. That session Saturday morning and a shorter one Sunday were the only real exercise that I got all week. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Outstanding series, Frank. As I began to scroll down to view the next image, I was expecting to see at GBH flipping a minnow into his mouth. Each image is outstanding...great composition, color and sharpness.

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Flewwwwwwwwww

Your images are very beautiful.

Glad you posted. Was getting worride about you :>))

Was getting ready to call you a couple days ago.

Did you get anything from that Horrible hurricane ...

19. Great shots I particularly like the second one and the last one showing the reflection in the water.

20. Excellent

Very nice series Frank. My favorite is the last one.