Shots from the weekend part II...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by manzico, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Here are some more from my "studio" shoot yesterday. This batch focuses on these great big leaves I picked up from the florist. I did alot in both color and B&W because the green was just fantastic, but the structure of the leaves, their shape, the veins in the leaves, etc. was also really great. I hope you like them:

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

Any and all comments, as always, are greatly appreciated.

Dave

2. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Dave:

I like this series. I find that the b/w brings out a lot of the detail in the leaves particularly around the edges. How did you convert these and what kind of PP did you do?

3. Pp

All shots were opened in NC4, I adjusted the contrast slightly and very slightly punched up the color boost. Then used the dust off image (I always do that), and saved as TIFF. Into PS where I used Thom Hogan's sharpening method and that was it for the color shots. For the B&W shots I then used the channel mixer. Mostly the red channe with a little from the green on occasion. For the the shots from the bottom of the leaves that was it (no glare). For the shots from the top of the leaves, even though I used a polarizer to minimize it, there was still some glare. If I found the glare unacceptable, I subtracted the blue channel since it only contained the highlights. Interestingly, whenever I shoot green vegitation, the blue channel registers almost nothing (totally black) in the green regions. In these shots, the blue channel is actually lighter where there is black background, then where the leaves are.

Dave

4. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Thank you, Dave. I'd like to try the sharpening method as well as the channel mixing for the B/w conversion. Right now I use the free Fotomatic B/W Plus plug in for conversions but am always looking for new ways to convert to b/w.

5. I wish I could make a cogent comment Dave but this type of photography is so different from what I am used to that it escapes me. That is not to say that you haven't done a great job. The greens are really saturated and the veins stand out nicely. Your B&W conversion are well done. Just so you know, my son has a masters in Modern Art and I don't understand his work either. The deficiency is mine not yours. Thanks for sharing your work.

6. Lisa, for more methods of B&W conversion, try Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers." It contains five methods, including an "Ansel Adams-Style Extreme Greyscale Conversion" which looks really cool.

Dave, another wonderful set. I haven't really shot or posted for a month (ouch!), but I think I'm going to try your bathroom-studio setup this weekend.