Shots taken on the way home...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Jul 6, 2005.

1. saw these guys at the usual spot. My wife tells me the chick has been flying along the roadside, getting some air time in.

These are all handheld with a 300 f2.8 and 1.4x, either in my car or standing. there is no cropping on any of them.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Harris. You are one of the only people that I know that could get this kind of shots hand held with that lens.

So when are you getting one? 8)

3. I dunno, I like this lens as it allows 420mm at f3.5 and 500mm at f4.5, but I also like the idea of the zoom on the 200-400. Guess I need to keep saving up as I also need a vacation.

I can handhold this one for a bit, but it really needs a mono or tripod. I was too lazy to take mine out and open it up, so I handheld.

4. Nice series of images.

Great job hand holding.

Russ

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You must think of a nickname for a 300 2.8

If Godzilla's the 200-400, then what should we call the 300 2.8? :roll: Nice shots, Harris. You must not drink too much coffee like I do! :wink:

6. Re: You must think of a nickname for a 300 2.8

7. Again just superb, I need a ride home like this one. Love the nice warm light keep them coming

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Beautiful images Harris.

9. thanks Mike Frank and Russ...

they were there last night, but I was taking my wife out for our anniversary so didnt stop.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Happy Anniversary old man! ;c)

How many years now?

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Harris -

More great pictures. But will you please stop jerking us Northern folks around with this "while driving home" stuff? Talk about jealousy! Just kidding. :lol:

Have you heard Ron R's plus/minus comments about the 300/2.8 vs the 200-400/4.0? Here's what he told me -

The 300 is a smidgeon sharper although both are super. The biggest advantage of the 300 is that you can shoot at f/2.8 and get very sharp images. With the 200-400 you have to go up to f/5.6 to get the same sharpness, so you lose two stops.

The advantages of the 200-400 are flexibility (which I really found useful at the rookery) and more length.

Have fun choosing. :roll: You know you are going to end up with one of them. Might as well do it know....

Gordon

12. Re: Happy Anniversary old man! ;c)

20, she deserves a medal, or sainthood.

13. I hope to end up with at least one of them. Probably next year though.

14. Hey Harris,

Your ride home is sure a lot more interesting than mine! Great series of shots! Its really been interesting to see how fast the chicks have grown over the last couple of months. Will they overwinter there or do they migrate even further south?