Shots with the Sigma 120-300 OS

It will be be fun to watch how this lens grades out. Seems to to be a spilt crowd regarding the last generation.

If you read on this new generation suffers the same issues as the old 300 and 120-300mm ie it's poor af performance ! Point it a a moving car and see how many keepers you get, if it is really as bad as the old one there will be lots of unhappy campers.

gpa1, interesting. Dont know what to think yet, seems one tester in that thread had a problem, and several others with good results: here are a couple of links to moving vehicle shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brummel2010/5737368257/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brummel2010/5737919532/in/photostream

They may well have resolved this in the new incarnation. I had two different 120-300's and a 300 all showed this problem amongst others, took back to Sigma in one last attempt to correct, had them calibrate it for me and then with the Technion went outside and tested, even the techy guy was shocked and could give no real reason for the missed focussed ones.

Why can't testers actually go out and use the lens for it's intended purpose...sports, action, etc.? I should make a lens review site that only does pictures in the field and for the intended purpose of that particular lens! No graphs, no charts, no test, just straight pictures. :wink:

Why can't testers actually go out and use the lens for it's intended purpose...sports, action, etc.? I should make a lens review site that only does pictures in the field and for the intended purpose of that particular lens! No graphs, no charts, no test, just straight pictures. :wink:

No kidding. :biggrin:

I also don't mind seeing the final product shots where the pic has been edited. Rarely do I use SOOC. It's nice to see what it looks like sharpness wise compared to other lenses, but I want to see what you can do with it editing wise as well.

No kidding. :biggrin:

I also don't mind seeing the final product shots where the pic has been edited. Rarely do I use SOOC. It's nice to see what it looks like sharpness wise compared to other lenses, but I want to see what you can do with it editing wise as well.

Ansel Adams was a post processing junkie! SOOC shots are sometimes kinda boring. I PP every shot I take. Cropping, levels adjustment and a little bit of sharpening should be the minimum standard! I think people have it in their head that if you edit, it's akin to doing a photoshop job on a Maxim cover, which in my opinion is too extreme! :eek:

I agree. I'd love to have one of these lenses, but it would be purely for shooting sports in low light. I've seen tons of test shots with these, but not many shots of football being played under the lights. That's the litmus test I need to see.

I am going to be following the thread over in the canon forum over the next couple of months. Seems like several posters have the lens in hand a a fe more have been ordered.

i had the 1st version and it was very good but i got a 300vr shortly after and started comparing them, i sold the sig soon after

Yes, I hear you Randy. But will be interesting to see how this one pans out with a different optical formula from the 1st one, and different type of low dispersion glass.

Mike

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom