Shotsd of the Day

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Winnie, Jun 2, 2007.

1. An early start this morning to make the most of the fine weather.

Nikon D200 ,Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX APO Macro IF HSM
    1/30s f/7.1 at 180.0mm iso400

1/40s f/7.1 at 180.0mm iso100

1/8s f/9.0 at 180.0mm iso100

1/6s f/9.0 at 180.0mm iso100

1/15s f/13.0 at 180.0mm iso200

1/125s f/7.1 at 180.0mm iso100

All in all a good day. I also saw my first ever Pearl Bordered Fritillary but didn't get any shots worth showing.

Cheers

Alex

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent shots

3. Logan

Logan Guest

WOW!! these are WONDERFUL!!! keep them coming!

4. These are excellent. Wow!

5. Thanks all, really appreciate the warm feedback.

Macro and butterflies and dragonflies in particular are really my favourite subjects. Shooting dragons is what got me into photography some 3 years ago.

6. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    watch out Jan there is a new kid on the block.. Wow Alex and more wow..

welcome to the cafe and thanks for posting these..

7. great stuff alex, early mornings pay off for sure :)

8. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Wow. Those are great.

9. This really is good work. Early morning shots do have a special feel to them. I used to leave Oxfordshire at 3.00am in the morning to get to sites like Thursley Marsh in Surrey at first light.

The spider's body is slightly out of focus, so remember that sharpness goes further back than forward from the point of focus. Learn to use the depth of field preview button if you have one.

I like the vertical shots of the 'blue butterfly.' The vertical one looks a little cramped, so let the subject breathe.

The female L. depressa is excellent, and all your backgrounds are superbly handled.

Best wishes. Bob F.

10. Very nice, like how you got the water drops.

11. Look at Pendragon's from Belgium work and j.ankanpaa from Finland. They both post in this section.

BW. Bob F.

12. Thanks again all.

Bob, Thanks for the tips, I have been at it for a while now but there is still lots to learn. The spider shot is slightly OOF, a slight breeze and too slow shutter were the cause.

I go to Thursley too, it's not far from my work and the drgaonfly opportunities are fantastic there.

Thanks again

Alex

13. I have been a fan of j.ankanpaa's work for a while now having seen it posted at Fred Miranda and DPReview.

I have a friend in Cornwall called Ross Hoddinott who is a pro nature photographer and he has been a great inspiration too. Ross was runner up in a category in last years Wildlife Photographer of the Year. see www.rosshoddinott.co.uk.

Cheers

Alex

14. Yvan

Yvan Guest

wow! I like very much this kind of shots! Really nice

15. The dew clinging to your insects is just super, thanks for sharing these beautiful shots.

16. Glad you like them, thanks for commenting.

Cheers

alex

17. Interesting to see you know pf Dursley and Ross. I know of Ross's work from various photo magazines.

I was contactracted for 30+ years to Oxford Scientific Films. Oh to have had digital in those days when one had to cope with ISOs of 25ASA and 64ASA!

BW. Bob F.

18. Great set, Alex!

Those shots of a butterfly are very beautiful. I also like a lot of L. depressa shot. I have never seen one... except, maybe when I was a child but I´m not sure as there´s 3 option what it could have been...

19. mdsign

mdsign

Jun 14, 2006
    Netherlands
    Still beautifull ;)

cheers!

20. Thanks all, really appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

Alex