Should be Idaho's State Flower

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Terri French, Jul 15, 2008.

1. The Potato Blossom--

Who knew they were so pretty. I should have some yummy new red potatoes in my garden in a couple of weeks. I always start digging them a couple of weeks after they blossom.

original.

View attachment 221908

2. Oh come on Terri-- has to be the lentil flower, or wheat:biggrin:

3. Hey now.....I've never seen famous lentils on our license plate.....or famous wheat!:eek: :biggrin:

4. Back in the old days when we had green and white license plates a character up here made himself the governor of North Idaho. Among the products he sold/gave away were stickers for license plates: one set was "North Idaho/No small Potatoes" and the other "Famous Lentils"
    I have elk plates one one car, ski plates on the other, and Lewis and Clark on my sons car. We are a spud free household :biggrin:

"Scenic Idaho" now that's one I could get with!

5. potato blossoms....
    i never knew how beautiful they were

lovely, terri
    thanks for sharing them with us

6. Ah but we have "amber waves of grain"

But yes, nice pictures!

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I had no idea there was any such thing as a potato blossom, but these sure are pretty.

8. Glad you folks are enjoying the potato blossom photos. For the record, I really don't want them to be Idaho's state flower. In fact, like Nick I would like my license plate to say "Scenic Idaho". Potatoes are nice.....but not the thing I am most proud of about my state.

But, the discussion has been fun and funny!!

9. I'll have to try to get a shot of the entire potato plant so you guys can see how small the blossoms really are. If you saw a whole field of potato plants the field would look mostly green with a few specks of colorful blossoms. I actually must admit that I never knew they were pretty until I started taking photos of flowers.

10. Wow, who's have thought? Gorgeous! I think squash flowers are really pretty too...

11. wow what a surprise. lovely flower.

12. Darn, I was thinking of having a thread where I was going to have people guess what kind of flower it is. I should have done it. I don't think anyone would have known.

Glad I surprised you all and that you enjoyed seeing the flower of the Pontiac Red Potato plant. Potatoes are so ugly, who would have thought that they have a pretty blossom on their plants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.