Should I buy a new or used?

I'm thinking about buying the new version 60 mm af-s macro lens,
should I buy a new one or a used one from KEH, saving about $65.
Your opion appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil..........:smile:

I suggest used. It's hard for a lens to take so much damage that it cant warrant the better price(s)! Some people require a warranty though. To each his own I guess.

I suggest used. It's hard for a lens to take so much damage that it cant warrant the better price(s)! Some people require a warranty though. To each his own I guess.
I'm one of those people who would rather have the warranty in this situation (but not necessarily always). You can think of it as paying an extra $65 for a 5 year warranty. To me, that's worth it.

I bought my 50mm 1.8 from a member on here and I couldnt have been happier. Lens was in perfect condition and I saved a decent amount of money. If you buy used, just be picky about where from and who from.

N

Nuteshack

i buy used when i can, when it makes sense...but saving 65 bucks on that lens doesn't seem to make sense, imho.

I tend to buy used if I can, you can make large savings.

The reason being is that lenses are fragile and expensive, so folks tend to look after them :)

I'd buy a used lens from somewhere like Nikon Cafe without hesitation.

However in your case, $65 does not seem like a big saving - and I believe lenses in the USA get a 5 year warranty, spread that $65 over 5 years, and I think I'd get new in your instance.

Having said that, there is not a whole lot that can go wrong with a macro lens!

I agree with most here. $65 just doesn't seem worth it to purchase a possible problem. KEH is very good, but I wonder why people would sell something that just came out.

Yesterday, I purchased a Nikon 10.5 Fisheye from a friend I knew. The friend wanted a 105vr Micro but his wife was complaining about too many lenses. He told her he'd sell one to fund the other. He'd just paid $659 for the fisheye 4 months ago and had used it twice. I bought it from him for $350 which is a steal. I didn't need it particularly, but at that price I snapped it up. He just had too much NAS and wanted that macro.

to me it depends on the lens and the price

a simple AFD design or prime is alot less of a gamble than a lens with AFS, VR etc...IMO

If I can swing it I like to buy new. Since Nikon is 10 minutes down the road from me I get great peace of mind knowing that I can get it serviced under warranty very easily and quickly.

agree with mood
to me it depends on the lens and the price
a simple AFD design or prime is alot less of a gamble than a lens with AFS, VR etc...IMO
The new lenses are getting more advanced with VR, AF-S and so on,
meaning i will buy these new with warranty.
Other AF or at least MF lenses should last "forever" and i would most likely go secondhanded. (No rules - mood depended :) )

I have had fantasic results from buying used Nikkor AIS from keh. That have a 14 day return policy and fantasic people working the phones. Very helpfull and great folks to deal with.

Gregory

Hi,
I only ever buy used if there is no other option, like my AIS 135/2 and AIS 105/1.8 because those are not available as new anymore. The AIS 50/1.2 and AIS 105/2.8 micro I have bought new this year. And oh yes, the Nikkor 28/1.4D was mint used and a great deal, I didn't pay it with cash but instead traded my classic harman/kardon citation II power amp for it with a friend.

I won't buy used AFS or VR lenses ever nor digital camera bodies either. Having the full warranty for complex/delicate/expensive electronics is worth every cent for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I want to thank everyone for their imput.

As most suggested, I think I will go with buying a new lens and

I will feel better knowing it has a warranty.

Phil...........:smile:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom