1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Should I buy a new or used?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pr549f2678, Aug 16, 2008.

1. pr549f2678

pr549f2678

Jun 26, 2007
    central Fl
    I'm thinking about buying the new version 60 mm af-s macro lens,
    should I buy a new one or a used one from KEH, saving about $65.
    Your opion appreciated.

Thanks,
    Phil..........:smile:

2. I have bought most of my lenses used from KEH.

3. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    I suggest used. It's hard for a lens to take so much damage that it cant warrant the better price(s)! Some people require a warranty though. To each his own I guess.

4. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    I'm one of those people who would rather have the warranty in this situation (but not necessarily always). You can think of it as paying an extra $65 for a 5 year warranty. To me, that's worth it.

5. I only buy used if I can get the price down to around 50-70% of new price. $65 isn't that big of a difference.

6. dj addicted

dj addicted

Apr 15, 2008
    Florida
    I bought my 50mm 1.8 from a member on here and I couldnt have been happier. Lens was in perfect condition and I saved a decent amount of money. If you buy used, just be picky about where from and who from.

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i buy used when i can, when it makes sense...but saving 65 bucks on that lens doesn't seem to make sense, imho.

8. I tend to buy used if I can, you can make large savings.

The reason being is that lenses are fragile and expensive, so folks tend to look after them :) 

I'd buy a used lens from somewhere like Nikon Cafe without hesitation.

However in your case, $65 does not seem like a big saving - and I believe lenses in the USA get a 5 year warranty, spread that $65 over 5 years, and I think I'd get new in your instance.

Having said that, there is not a whole lot that can go wrong with a macro lens!

9. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I agree with most here. $65 just doesn't seem worth it to purchase a possible problem. KEH is very good, but I wonder why people would sell something that just came out.

Yesterday, I purchased a Nikon 10.5 Fisheye from a friend I knew. The friend wanted a 105vr Micro but his wife was complaining about too many lenses. He told her he'd sell one to fund the other. He'd just paid $659 for the fisheye 4 months ago and had used it twice. I bought it from him for $350 which is a steal. I didn't need it particularly, but at that price I snapped it up. He just had too much NAS and wanted that macro.

10. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    to me it depends on the lens and the price

a simple AFD design or prime is alot less of a gamble than a lens with AFS, VR etc...IMO

11. If I can swing it I like to buy new. Since Nikon is 10 minutes down the road from me I get great peace of mind knowing that I can get it serviced under warranty very easily and quickly.

12. arela

arela

Jan 15, 2008
    Norway
    agree with mood
    The new lenses are getting more advanced with VR, AF-S and so on,
    meaning i will buy these new with warranty.
    Other AF or at least MF lenses should last "forever" and i would most likely go secondhanded. (No rules - mood depended :)  )

13. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I have had fantasic results from buying used Nikkor AIS from keh. That have a 14 day return policy and fantasic people working the phones. Very helpfull and great folks to deal with.

Gregory

14. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Hi,
    I only ever buy used if there is no other option, like my AIS 135/2 and AIS 105/1.8 because those are not available as new anymore. The AIS 50/1.2 and AIS 105/2.8 micro I have bought new this year. And oh yes, the Nikkor 28/1.4D was mint used and a great deal, I didn't pay it with cash but instead traded my classic harman/kardon citation II power amp for it with a friend.

I won't buy used AFS or VR lenses ever nor digital camera bodies either. Having the full warranty for complex/delicate/expensive electronics is worth every cent for me.

15. pr549f2678

pr549f2678

Jun 26, 2007
    central Fl
    I want to thank everyone for their imput.

As most suggested, I think I will go with buying a new lens and

I will feel better knowing it has a warranty.

Phil...........:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.