Should I buy the iPad 1 or iPad 2?

iPad 2. It is lighter and more comfortable to hold in the hands because of the way the body is configured, it is faster and it has the cameras if one likes to do FaceTime and/or Skype.

A friend's parents have been waiting to get an iPad, and I had told them to hold off until the new one came out. Once I had both in my hands and could make a comparison, I was then able to offer them advice about which one to get, and in their case I again recommend the iPad 2, especially because of the comfort factor (an older person's hands might appreciate that!) and because of the cameras for FaceTime with their family in other states. I was actually surprised, as my original thought had been that oh, the first-generation would be just fine for them. Really, I think the iPad 2 has a lot of benefits, both significant and seemingly insignificant, that can make a difference. Also as time goes on and we get updates for apps and eventually iOS 5, there may be an even greater gap in the two devices. I suspect that apps developers are going to come out with more and more apps which play up to the advantages of the iPad 2 and leave the first-gen in the dust.

iPad 1 was great, and if you stay away from v.2 you won't know what you're missing.

It is faster, it is more comfortable to hold, and it is noticeably lighter. But if you just stay away from it, you'll be perfectly happy with the iPad 1.

Depends what you want to use it for.

If you want it for facetime etc. Then obvioulsy iPad V2 is the ticket.

If its just general surfing I dont think the extra cost is worth the benefit.

Have you also looked at other tablets on the market?

Depends what you want to use it for.

If you want it for facetime etc. Then obvioulsy iPad V2 is the ticket.

If its just general surfing I dont think the extra cost is worth the benefit.

Have you also looked at other tablets on the market?

I just want to use it for travel and light internet device. Though the Facetime feature of version 2 is really tempting. It'd be great to chat with the family when away. Hmmm decisions!

I bought my fiance an iPad 2 last week. She LOVES it, hasn't touched her laptop since the iPad came home. The display is stunning, it's fast and very easy to hold and carry.
She uses Skype to video chat with her family overseas so I waited until the 2 for the cameras.

just ordered iPad 2.......so much for ignoring the Apple devil sitting on my shoulder and tempting me :rolleyes:

If I used FaceTime or iMovie more, or played 3D games at all, then I suppose the iPad2 would be more appealing. As it is right now I use it to read PDFs in GoodReader and light web browsing. I rarely have more than one tab open at a time so really the iPad1 is still perfect for me. I'm sure that'll all change the first time I touch an iPad2 at the store ;)

We have thought of getting a tablet for the last three weeks. I thought I had it narrowed down to a Xoom or iPad 2. Then I thought of waiting till 2 more Android tablets come out in June.
But today, we saw what we thought was a good deal on a refurbished iPad 1. After much thought we could not be sure how much we would use a tablet so we decided to save money. If we like a tablet we will get another 1 (or 2) in 2012.
And, I will stay away from iPad 2 when I go to Apple stores. :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom