Should I consider a new TV?

Real Name
Dan
LG just dropped the price of their mainstream OLED's $500 -- love my 65" CX!!!

Note - you don't need high luminance - you need ENOUGH to cover the dynamic range of the material PLUS enough to overcome the reflected light from the room.
With a good polarizer and coatings in front to eliminate reflections, high brightness is not really as important as one thinks.

Just never buy an LG fridge.

From personal experience...

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I've had better luck with Sony for TVs than any other brand. More money, but better performance and longevity.

More expensive, but since I don't buy very often, I don't care, plus prices keep going down, as performance improves.
This has been my experience also. I once had enough points on my AmEx that I got a 32 inch XBR LED for free. It now is in the room where my wife walks on the treadmill.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I struck out on my first attempt for that reason. In addition, she raises the question of what to do with the old one since it still works.
Sadly any set over five years old cannot even be donated to Goodwill or Salvation Army. I had an old "flat screen" CRT 24-inch Sony that must have weighed 40 lbs. I donated it to a halfway house. They were thrilled to get it. We have donated other things like old iMac computers to a local women's shelter. They are always grateful and I am always glad to help them.

Real Name
Ian
I just ordered an LG OLEDCX65 (4k, HDR) to replace my 9 year old Panasonic Plasma (1080p) and can't wait to get it as it will be a major improvement. I think you will see the a substantial benefit as well. Costco just put them on a major sale as has Amazon and Best Buy.

There are multiple things to know such as viewing angles; appropriate size for how far away you sit, panel type (LED or OLED), light array (edge or local dimming); HDR type (HLG, HDR10, HDR10+ or Dolby Vision) HDMI cables (2.0 or 2.1) and more:

I recommend that you do your education and research here as there is a lot to know:

https://www.rtings.com

and here:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/search/?s=tv
You’re going to love the OLED. I have a relatively older one from Sony (A8F), but it’s still incredible. Streaming 4K content, or watching UHD Blu-Rays is incredible, especially with my 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos set-up.

it helps that I got a killer deal on the TV from Costco ($1,300 for a 65”), but even if I didn’t, I wouldn’t regret having spent the money. It’s such an incredible viewing experience.

I own the 65" CX OLED from LG -- Freaking Fantastic -- great for reviewing our shots when we plug in our Nikons.
Also - streaming some of the real 4k content is amazing.
Now that it's been marked down $500, it's even more amazing.

Now that we're stuck at home much more with the Rona, investing in the home theater was an easier sell.

Last edited:
This discussion about t.v. hardware is interesting from an imaging point of view, but for me the issue is not so much the device as what there is to watch on it. We like movies and have Netflix and Apple TV but so many times we are disappointed as our dislike of violent movies eliminates a large fraction of them. We have more luck with TCM, Cinemoi and a couple of other channels on our cable and of course there's also sports and special interest programs, but nothing at this point that would motivate us to replace our several years old HD t.v., considering also that we don't sit close to the set and don't have room for anything really big.

Real Name
Ken
This discussion about t.v. hardware is interesting from an imaging point of view, but for me the issue is not so much the device as what there is to watch on it. We like movies and have Netflix and Apple TV but so many times we are disappointed as our dislike of violent movies eliminates a large fraction of them. We have more luck with TCM, Cinemoi and a couple of other channels on our cable and of course there's also sports and special interest programs, but nothing at this point that would motivate us to replace our several years old HD t.v., considering also that we don't sit close to the set and don't have room for anything really big.
We have Netflix (and Apple), but we also rent from Amazon. They have a reasonable selection if you do not mind paying the rental fee.

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
What's the mechanism for doing this (download to computer?) and is it just for Prime members?
While Prime members get access to a lot of content for free (and one of the reasons that we joined years ago since we don't have cable), I do not believe that you need a Prime membership to access movies. We use a Roku box hooked up to our TV, so I suspect that whatever hardware brings you Netflix should also offer you Amazon Prime (even thought you are not a Prime member). There are more details here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/cust...p_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=GZCHXL8CUW3VWJQP .

Good luck,

--Ken

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
While Prime members get access to a lot of content for free (and one of the reasons that we joined years ago since we don't have cable), I do not believe that you need a Prime membership to access movies. We use a Roku box hooked up to our TV, so I suspect that whatever hardware brings you Netflix should also offer you Amazon Prime (even thought you are not a Prime member). There are more details here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/cust...p_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=GZCHXL8CUW3VWJQP .

Good luck,

--Ken
I have rented movies from Amazon Prime. They usually run $4 - $6 for a one-time viewing, but that's less than theatre tickets these days.

JLH

I just moved our (working) 60" Samsung to our basement "rec" room or whatever you call them now and replace it with a 75" Q90 series Samsung. I was torn between one of the new Sony's which have a most beautiful picture or the Samsung. The Q90 is a great TV and I caught it on sale making it affordable (but still not cheap!). We have several Samsungs in the family and none has ever given us a moments trouble in many years. I also have two Visios that work just fine but not quite up to the same level as the Samsungs. (Yes, we have too many TV's. In the wife's sewing room, our office, my work shop, etc. None of them ever dies so I just move them around and give away the oldest/smallest when I get a new set.

Think of the issue of security too.
SmartTVs need to be updated to keep their OS secure.
However as time goes by, the internal memory can be too small to accommodate larger patches (and force users to remove certain apps).
Also Bluetooth can be a bother, I had a neighbour constantly trying to connect to our TV (by accident?).
Not to mention the spying and data collection from the manufacturer (looking at you Samsung).
Buying a TV is a lot more than wondering about picture quality, number of HDMI ports...
They are connected devices.

It is a connected device, but I wouldn't consider it any worse than a laptop, phone or tablet. My smart tv's are auto-updated, most apps are pre-installed, and the data collection is going to happen but it's going to be less about "you" and more about viewing habits.

So many people are afraid of this data collection stuff when it's nowhere near as bad as it is being made out to be. Analytics are what help improve products...this shift to removing the ability for companies to collect data and analytics is going to have downstream effects that aren't all positive.

It is a connected device, but I wouldn't consider it any worse than a laptop, phone or tablet. My smart tv's are auto-updated, most apps are pre-installed, and the data collection is going to happen but it's going to be less about "you" and more about viewing habits.

So many people are afraid of this data collection stuff when it's nowhere near as bad as it is being made out to be. Analytics are what help improve products...this shift to removing the ability for companies to collect data and analytics is going to have downstream effects that aren't all positive.
Agree to disagree.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom