Should I consider a new TV?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
FYI - just reading an article on choosing TV size.
The data given was that:
- THX recommends TV-diagonal=TV-distance*0.835
- SMPTE recommends a 30-degree viewing angle equating to TV-diagonal=TV-distance*0.625
Clearly these are immersive, not casual viewing.
But these guys are "the experts."
I just experimented. I have a 55 inch diagonal TV. Averaging those ratios comes to about 0.7, so that gives about 78 inches. I just kneeled in front of it 78 inches away. Is this really correct?

I measured my normal viewing distance and it is 12 feet, so that is 144 inches. So the TV should have a diagonal of 100 inches. That is huge.

I'm guessing these numbers are really for home theatre setups?

Real Name
Randy
I just experimented. I have a 55 inch diagonal TV. Averaging those ratios comes to about 0.7, so that gives about 78 inches. I just kneeled in front of it 78 inches away. Is this really correct?

I measured my normal viewing distance and it is 12 feet, so that is 144 inches. So the TV should have a diagonal of 100 inches. That is huge.

more likely for TV salesman
my rule of thumb is: when I look at the center of the tv i can see both edges w/o having to turn my head

I just noticed a discrepancy. I ordered the Sony X800H model, but the box says X80H.

I can't find any solid information online, but there are suggestions that they are the same. Does anyone know anything about this?

----------------------------

They are the same.

Last edited:
I have it set up now, and the jury is still out as to whether it is a real improvement, even with me.

1) I really dislike the way all the HDMI connections are on the side, which make the cables stick out in a very visible manner.

2) The picture, while providing more detail, seems dark and overly saturated. It also has a blue tint. I've increased the brightness to "maximum", color balance to "warm", and reduced the saturation. Slight improvement.

3) The sound seems worse.

I need to try it a bit longer on various other programs. So far, only tried network channels (Weather, CNN).

You want the set to be a little darker. With HD you want better black levels... TV showroom always over run the sets so that they seem bright and punchy. Not something you want, especially when watching performances or movies. Watch something of a streaming channel.

Yes, of course.
THX is ONLY concerned about HT.
SMPTE is the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers and they probably are not too concerned about casual viewing.

TV viewing falls to three categories for me: Casual background junk, news and stuff I want to WATCH.
It's for the last category that immersive size and great sound matter immensely.

I went from a crappy 5.1 sound (<$100 speakers) and a poor quality 45-inch LCD to a 65-inch OLED with rocking sound.
HUGE improvement in the entertainment value for things I want to actually watch.

With the Rona forcing lots of time at home - I consider it s a wise investment.
Would I to do it again, I'd probably spring for the 75-inch OLED.

BUT DO CONSIDER YOUR SOURCES - Comcast is still broadcasting in 720P/1080I here -- total crap for a big TV.
DIRECTV is sending me 1080P and one or two worthless 4k channels that have limited content.
Without a HD streaming service, I doubt I'd be happy with a really big TV.
SD material at huge size is not good......

Last edited:
I'm finding it very hard to get this new TV set up right. The colors are still off: faces look green. If I fix them for one channel using the color temperature setting, they are then off for another channel. And there seems to be a lip-sync problem with "talking heads" like CNN and the Weather Channel.

I also can find no way to run the sound through my audio system as I did with the old TV. It doesn't have any explicit audio-out ports. Instead, it has one HDMI port labeled "ARC", and I can't get this to work with my AV receiver.

I may end up returning it to Best Buy and reverting back to my reliable and familiar 2009 Bravia.

I also can find no way to run the sound through my audio system as I did with the old TV. It doesn't have any explicit audio-out ports. Instead, it has one HDMI port labeled "ARC"
If you set comes with internal speakers, then it will probably not have ARC enabled by default - find it in the setup menu and enable it.

Get a calibration disk or actually find ISF tech to do a calibration and get the most out of your set. It’s going to be extremely difficult for you to get the colors spot on. We bought our current Sony from a dedicated HT store, probably $100-4150 more than price at Best Buy, but also included full ISF calibration and installation. Well worth the extra spent.

Real Name
Don Roy
I'm finding it very hard to get this new TV set up right. The colors are still off: faces look green.

I also can find no way to run the sound through my audio system as I did with the old TV. It doesn't have any explicit audio-out ports. Instead, it has one HDMI port labeled "ARC", and I can't get this to work with my AV receiver.
I don't know the details of you setup, but I doubt the color problem is the TV. How do the colors look with an antenna?

For audio, I'd skip ARC and just run a optical line to the receiver. Use a multi device remote like a Harmony 665 (assuming all devices use IR).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom