Should I consider a new TV?

Proof that YMMV is universal.
The same for me. My wife subscribes to Netflix DVDs and streaming. We have been viewing our home-grown 1939 film festival the last three weeks because that year is widely recognized as the year for the most high-quality films. Today we will watch Gone with the Wind using the streaming. Can't wait to see the incredible scene again that occurs immediately prior to its intermission. Today that scene would be created using CGI. Not in the 1930s, of course.

Last edited:
Personal ratings:
Netflix>=iTunes>Amazon Prime Video>NowTV>Disney>Apple TV+
then BBC iPlayer>My5=All4=ITVHub=Arte
YouTube is also great.
Lots of the content is 4K nowadays.

Just a note, one of the UK channel streams the first 5 episodes of season 1 of Hunter, the 80's crime show.
It does not seem to have been remastered and a large screen makes it look bad.
Resolution is wishy washy and colours are not well rendered.
Shame.

Proof that YMMV is universal. The things I like about Netflix include the PBS documentaries, the nature documentaries and the Netflix original content.
The same for me. My wife subscribes to Netflix DVDs and streaming. We have been viewing our home-grown 1939 film festival the last three weeks because that year is widely recognized as the year for the most high-quality films. Today we will watch Gone with the Wind using the streaming. Can't wait to see the incredible scene again that occurs immediately prior to its intermission. Today that scene would be created using CGI. Not in the 1930s, of course.
How do you find this stuff? Just browsing, it doesn't show up

How do you find this stuff?
It's really easy: my wife does it for me. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I've never used our Netflix account so I asked her to explain how it works. She has a Netflix account set up on her computer and she uses it to look for movies and programs we want to watch. She uses the text search field pertaining to the streaming. If the selection we want to watch isn't returned, she then is given the opportunity to determine if it's available on DVD. She orders DVDs using the account on her computer. If the selection is available on the streaming, she uses the computer to add it in her account to her list of things she wants to watch. When she goes to the television, she brings up that list to access that particular selection.

My wife approved this post for accuracy.

How do you find this stuff? Just browsing, it doesn't show up
This is the great weakness of all the streaming services. Even the algorithms they use to try to show you stuff you might be interested in miss the mark. You can sort of "steer" it, though.

I periodically browse Netflix and Amazon Prime. I do two separate passes on each, once specifying movies and another time specifying TV shows. When I stumble across something I want to watch, I add it to my watch list. As I watch these and then delete them from my watch list, I see more of what I am really interested in.

I also rely on recommendations from friends and family.

she knows what she is looking for.
Yes. Though that's the only way she uses the system, she explains that there are lots of genres listed in the system that you can use as a starting point.

Once you've viewed a DVD or a streamed selection, you can rate that selection in your account. Netflix makes recommendations for you to consider based on your selections and your ratings of them.

That's just it; she knows what she is looking for.
You can also look up recommendations online and see what others are watching and what they find to be good. I wasn't a netflix user for the longest time but got my mom's login and tried it out and ended up finding a bunch of stuff I enjoyed after favoriting things and watching others. Now the algorithm is doing a better job recommending new shows and movies.

I just now learned from my wife that she chooses from among the following:
  • Cable provider (no additional cost for on-demand viewing)
  • On Demand (that's the name of the provider)
  • Amazon Prime
  • Netflix DVD and streaming
Sometimes a particular selection is available on multiple platforms. She chooses the least expensive unless other practicalities also need to be considered.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Never heard of it. I'll look it up. We haven't followed a TV series in at least 40 years.
It's on Netflix. You've missed some very good TV series..... Designated Survivor and Madam Secretary are two we like. And Blue Bloods.

Never heard of it. I'll look it up. We haven't followed a TV series in at least 40 years.
I'm more the opposite...TV series have gotten much better over the years whereas I feel like movies have gotten much worse. You're missing out on fantastic series like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, and Stranger Things just in recent years.

The last TV series I remember watching was "The Wild, Wild, West" back in the late 60's. During my working career there was neither time nor interest, and during the last forty years my hearing has been too poor to follow dialogue. I don't feel the least deprived. :)

For what's it's worth, I have a Samsung and an LG. The LG appears to be better. I also went from copper wire to optic fiber, which made a significant difference in clarity.
TV's are cheap, especially if you get them on sale, something between 43-50 inches is great for sports.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom