Should I consider a new TV?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm refreshing this thread because I still haven't bought anything. Maybe there are some fresh ideas out there?

Probably not. We probably have pretty well exhausted this topic.

The one thing that has changed is that COVID-19 makes shopping in stores rather problematic now.

P.S. OLED? I've been reading up on the technology, and I've learned that reviewers think OLED produces the best picture, but they are pricey!

OLED is awesome, but you're going to pay for it. And I think you said you were looking for something under 55"? If so, the "wow" factor for OLED goes down on smaller panels. The benefits really start to shine above 55".

A good 4k screen will be plenty fine for years to come. And I still stand behind a good Sony XBR set and refuse to recommend or even consider anything with Samsung. Samsung is only popular because they've flooded the market, rely on "specs" that don't live up to the expectation to hype up demand, and run a ton of promotions to shove other players of better quality out of the buying space.

I've owned a fridge, washer, dryer, phone, tablet, couple TVs, microwave and stove by them at some point in my life and all of them had gimmicky features that never panned out or failed within a year or had quality issues. I'll never recommend them for any reason.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
OLED is awesome, but you're going to pay for it. And I think you said you were looking for something under 55"? If so, the "wow" factor for OLED goes down on smaller panels. The benefits really start to shine above 55".

A good 4k screen will be plenty fine for years to come. And I still stand behind a good Sony XBR set and refuse to recommend or even consider anything with Samsung. Samsung is only popular because they've flooded the market, rely on "specs" that don't live up to the expectation to hype up demand, and run a ton of promotions to shove other players of better quality out of the buying space.

I've owned a fridge, washer, dryer, phone, tablet, couple TVs, microwave and stove by them at some point in my life and all of them had gimmicky features that never panned out or failed within a year or had quality issues. I'll never recommend them for any reason.
I have had the opposite experience. Samsung have been excellent.
But they make some products that are cheap and not so wonderful, medium range ones that are good value and work well, and more expensive ones. You get what you pay for. I have had very good experiences with their phones, fridges and TVs.

With other electrical goods manufacturers I have had good experiences with Bosch and Siemens.

And bad experiences (never again) with Sony and GE.

Right now I'm inclined to go with this model. (It's a Sony XBR 49-inch.)

My last three TV purchases were Sony and all have been bullet proof. There was never a problem with any of them through 10+ years and two are still working perfectly now.

With any brand recommendation, you are bound to have counterexamples. Consumer Reports rates Sony, Samsung, and LG as the top three in quality, with Sony leading in all size categories except one, where Sony and Samsung are essentially tied.

Real Name
Ian
I'm refreshing this thread because I still haven't bought anything. Maybe there are some fresh ideas out there?

Probably not. We probably have pretty well exhausted this topic.

The one thing that has changed is that COVID-19 makes shopping in stores rather problematic now.
Do you have a Costco membership?

I’ve got all Sony TV’s (2 X900E’s that are 3 years old, and an A8H that is 2 years old).

The A8H is OLED, and for 4K HDR content it is absolutely stunning. But even the normal LED tv’s from Sony are very good. Take a look at Sony’s x900H line of TV’s if you want a very good TV that is moderately priced.

Real Name
Ian

My last three TV purchases were Sony and all have been bullet proof. There was never a problem with any of them through 10+ years and two are still working perfectly now.

With any brand recommendation, you are bound to have counterexamples. Consumer Reports rates Sony, Samsung, and LG as the top three in quality, with Sony leading in all size categories except one, where Sony and Samsung are essentially tied.
Is there a reason you’re limiting yourself to a 49” tv? Is ita space restraint? Cost?

Honestly, I would look at the 55” XBR-X900H. The 900H has a much better panel than the 800H.

If you do have a Costco membership, take a look at the X90CH. It’s the Costco-only version of the X900H.

Is there a reason you’re limiting yourself to a 49” tv? Is ita space restraint? Cost?
Space.

Honestly, I would look at the 55” XBR-X900H. The 900H has a much better panel than the 800H.

If you do have a Costco membership, take a look at the X90CH. It’s the Costco-only version of the X900H.
There is the X950H 49" available, but it's $1000. Could it be worth the difference?

I have the 900 series in 75" of that TV for 2.5 years. The picture is awesome. I haven't read back the entire thread for specifics - these are Smart TVs and have occasional over the air firmware updates to go along with the built in streaming apps.

Seems like all the big box places are having pre holiday sales. Good time to buy!

I notice that the Sonys advertise that they use the Android operating system. We are a solid Apple house here, computers and phones. Will that matter?

I notice that the Sonys advertise that they use the Android operating system. We are a solid Apple house here, computers and phones. Will that matter?
No, that is not an issue. We all have I'something or other too - phones, MacBooks, iPads. The user interface is all graphical and easy to navigate. There is a slight built in advantage with Chromecast services but that is all.

Real Name
Ian
Space.

There is the X950H 49" available, but it's $1000. Could it be worth the difference?
If it is a space constraint and you can not physically go to a 55” TV, then your options are the X800H or the X950H. The X950H is a much better TV. It is brighter (Better for HDR content), and is a FALED with local dimming (the X800H is edge-lit with no local dimming). This results in better contrast, better black levels, and less blooming.

The X950H is worlds better than the X800H. Is the TV in a bright room? Do you watch a lot of movies that are not delivered via cable (either streaming, or from disks)? Do you watch a lot of content with dark scenes? If any of the above situations apply to you, I’d say get the X950H, as it excels in those scenarios. If you just use your TV for mostly watching cable, I don’t think you’d notice the difference.

Real Name
Ian
Android TV is a very good Smart TV interface IMO. The latest Sony’s have AirPlay 2 as well, meaning you can cast from your Apple devices directly to the TV.

The fact that the TV runs on Android means nothing for you (I have all Sony TV’s and have two iPhones, two iPads, and two MBP’s in my house).

People always talk about the picture quality, color, etc.
Don't forget about the sound. Personally I would prefer a marvelous sound system and a mediocre image- especially if you are watching concerts or sports.
Now I am an audio nut- main sound room has 11 large speaker systems as well as bass shakers for the main furniture.
So as you look at tv's- leave room in the budget at least for a sound bar. The new flat tv's sound leaves a lot to be desired.
You really can not buy a tv with a bad picture right now.
Enjoy the journey
Gary

Oh you most certain can. Granted, the scales are much different now but go to RTings.com and compare some of the different sizes/brands/etc., and you'll definitely see where some have a worse picture than others.

I agree, audio is very important but the purchase is for a TV...get the TV you want then you can add audio to it.

I have had the opposite experience. Samsung have been excellent.
But they make some products that are cheap and not so wonderful, medium range ones that are good value and work well, and more expensive ones. You get what you pay for. I have had very good experiences with their phones, fridges and TVs.

With other electrical goods manufacturers I have had good experiences with Bosch and Siemens.

And bad experiences (never again) with Sony and GE.
My phones have all snapped somehow within a year (screens and backs). None of my iPhones have. The only phone to make the restricted item list for airplanes is a Samsung. My fridge decided to melt the plug and create a fantastic burning smell in the house that we had a hard time figuring out. We were *this* close from an in-wall fire. My washer was part of the "exploding" washer recall where a technician came out and said "get rid of this before it fails on you because it will". He mentioned he works on Samsung appliances 90% of the time and it's what keeps his business afloat. My dryer used a plastic part that was known to melt over time as it sits near the heating element. Plastic...heat...what could go wrong?

These aren't necessarily "low end" products, this is piss poor QC. Putting out a myriad of products to flood the market...look at how many, say 65" TV's, there are on the market. They at one point had about 10-12 different 65" TV's with model numbers that aren't all that simple to follow. Vizio usually has 3-4 lines. Sony usually has 3-4 lines. GE has 3-4 (last time I shopped them). No thanks Samsung.

People always talk about the picture quality, color, etc.
Don't forget about the sound. Personally I would prefer a marvelous sound system and a mediocre image- especially if you are watching concerts or sports.
Now I am an audio nut- main sound room has 11 large speaker systems as well as bass shakers for the main furniture.
So as you look at tv's- leave room in the budget at least for a sound bar. The new flat tv's sound leaves a lot to be desired.
Enjoy the journey
Gary
Sound is not a concern. The TV will be connected to a Denon receiver with four high-quality speakers. But that is mostly for my wife. I get sound through a bluetooth connection to my hearing aids.

We do spend a lot of our evenings watching classical music concerts and operas. Through the VT library I get access to streamed concerts and operas from the entire Berlin Philharmonic and the Metropolitan Opera archives. Having the sound delivered directly to my hearing aids has been a revelation.

GLASSES

I sat down to watch TV one day, and realized that the screen wasn't as sharp as I thought it should be. If the image should be sharp and it isn't, I get a headache, because my brain is working to try to bring the image into focus..
Turned out that I finally needed the 3rd prescription, for the intermediate distance, to clearly see the TV. Going from bifocal to trifocal.

As for TV. One thing that I notice between my wife's LED TV in the living room, and my rear projection TV in the spare bedroom, is her newer TV has BLACK blacks. So things that are black, really are black. On my 2004 rear projection TV, the blacks are a dark grey. And the colors are not as rich. Sometimes it bothers me, sometimes not. But I will probably replace it soon, simply for that reason.

As for sound, my wife's and my TV are routed through a receiver to separate speakers. Some of the TV speakers are pretty poor. In fact my wife's TV has the speakers in the back of the TV facing the rear wall, so the sound is poor.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom