Should I consider a new TV?

Real Name
Doug
Another: I have a dictionary from the 1950s that defines presently to mean at some time in the near future and at present to mean right now. Today, they are synonymous.

And then there are the late George Carlin's musings on language. My favorite is: what's the deal with raw sewage. Does someone actually cook the stuff?

we have a couple of flatscreen TVs, I’d guess they’re 32 inches. might upgrade them when I see an improvement in content. Gotta ask, with these big TV sets, do you get a tan if you sit too close?
No tan so far from a 46 inch. Improvement in content is subjective, but the advances in photography and computer graphics have given new life to nature stories and historical documentaries. Cooking shows look more delicious these days too. I like to add a few BBC detective series, movies and some sports and I have plenty to watch these days. Much, much more than a decade or two ago.

I have a question, do I have a landline or not? I'm not sure of the definition.
I used to have a traditional copper landline. It also provided a very slow poor ADSL internet connection.

Then a different company did a wonderful project putting in fiber to all the houses in this remote rural area. They don't provide any phone service, just gigabit speed internet.
So I then bought VOIP phone service from Vonage, using a tiny box connected to the fiber router, and connected my old home phones wiring to that. And I transferred my old phone number to Vonage, so all the phones work just like before, but better sound. I cancelled the old service, so the copper wires are unused.

So I have a line that runs across the land, but would you call that a landline? Note that it can't work in a powercut.

Haha! Funny guy. :) Not only do we have a land-line (traditional phone line!!!) but one of our home phones is the old corded phone, so that it will work in a power outage. We're just that way, I guess.

Real Name
Ken
Haha! Funny guy. :) Not only do we have a land-line (traditional phone line!!!) but one of our home phones is the old corded phone, so that it will work in a power outage. We're just that way, I guess.
We had a corded phone for the same reason. But, when we upgraded our internet service with CenturyLink, they said we had to install a GPON fiber optic line - a line that requires power to operate. So no power, or battery backup, no phone. Technically it is still a landline, but it is not a copper land line. We still have the corded phone, but the installer never gave us a backup battery, so unless we find some alternate source in a power outage, our cell phone will act in that role. I suspect that the phone/internet companies would eventually like to upgrade as much service in their urban areas as possible to fiber optic, but I am not sure if it will happen in my lifetime. At least the call quality and internet service is good.

--Ken

If you ever have to have any outpatient medical monitoring done and transmit the information daily to your doctor, the transmitting machines will not work by wireless methods. Only hard wired phones like we all had before will work.

Hey, let's get back on topic here. This thread is about TV!

I tried a 30-day free trial of Netflix streaming the past month. It worked so well I cancelled our longstanding Netflix DVD subscription which was needed to get subtitles (for my poor hearing). Streamed movies now have subtitles available.

However, we only found two movies that looked interesting enough to watch, and one of those was a waste of time. We started a third but gave up after the first 15 minutes. So I have cancelled Netflix entirely.

I tried a 30-day free trial of Netflix streaming the past month. It worked so well I cancelled our longstanding Netflix DVD subscription which was needed to get subtitles (for my poor hearing). Streamed movies now have subtitles available.

However, we only found two movies that looked interesting enough to watch, and one of those was a waste of time. We started a third but gave up after the first 15 minutes. So I have cancelled Netflix entirely.
Jim,
If you are an Amazon Prime member, Amazon streaming video is free as well as unlimited free cloud storage of your jpeg files.

Real Name
Doug

Proof that YMMV is universal. The things I like about Netflix include the PBS documentaries, the nature documentaries and the Netflix original content.

Latest threads

Top Bottom