Should I consider a new TV?

Real Name
Ken
A very close friend who suddenly passed away last week was an avid cinema lover and had planned to buy this Sony OLED TV to replace his Panasonic Plasma TV which died earlier this year - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1545419-REG/sony_xbr48a9s_48_xbr_4k_a9s.html . He was space constrained, and he believed that this was the best TV in this physical size range for image quality. It is not cheap, but given that a good set can last 10-15 years, it seems worthy of consideration if IQ is important.

As a side note, he is the reason that I shoot with Nikon gear today. He sold me his FTn and a bunch on non-AI lenses in the early 1990's that I still have today.

--Ken

A very close friend who suddenly passed away last week was an avid cinema lover and had planned to buy this Sony OLED TV to replace his Panasonic Plasma TV which died earlier this year - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1545419-REG/sony_xbr48a9s_48_xbr_4k_a9s.html . He was space constrained, and he believed that this was the best TV in this physical size range for image quality. It is not cheap, but given that a good set can last 10-15 years, it seems worthy of consideration if IQ is important.

As a side note, he is the reason that I shoot with Nikon gear today. He sold me his FTn and a bunch on non-AI lenses in the early 1990's that I still have today.

--Ken

Given that I paid $1600 for the set I have now, in 2008 dollars, that one is probably actually less expensive. But I didn't have in mind spending that much now.

The specs say that some of the outputs are on the bottom, but It looks from the picture that there would be no room to plug anything into the bottom.

Real Name
Ken
Given that I paid $1600 for the set I have now, in 2008 dollars, that one is probably actually less expensive. But I didn't have in mind spending that much now.

The specs say that some of the outputs are on the bottom, but It looks from the picture that there would be no room to plug anything into the bottom.
I have not yet researched this model, as I had hoped to talk with my friend after he acquired the set. There is a similar sized model from LG that is also OLED, and the prices at Best Buy have been several hundred dollars less than the Sony. If you are still interested in OLED, and are willing to pay some premium for the better IQ, than this is a possible alternative. Our Panasonic IPS panel TV is getting up in the years and we are also a bit space constrained, so I was going to look at these two models after I could find a few reviews to read. We are not in a hurry, but it is nice to know what options are available.

Good luck,

--Ken

Real Name
Dan
Maybe said here, but I didn’t read every response.

I was seriously considering an OLED Sony. Looked at those, looked at the models just below. Had a hard time making a decision.

Then a salesman said something to another customer that made my choice for me. He said “In you have a very bright room the OLED is your worse choice.”

Our room is very bright, I bought the model just below it, and have no regrets.

I was seriously considering an OLED Sony. Looked at those, looked at the models just below. Had a hard time making a decision.

Then a salesman said something to another customer that made my choice for me. He said “In you have a very bright room the OLED is your worse choice.”

Thanks for the information. Our TV room is also very bright, so I guess I should rule out OLED. I wasn't seriously considering it anyway.

Real Name
Ian

While true that OLED is not as bright as the high-end LED-LCD TV’s, modern OLED panels are much brighter than they were a few years ago.

Granted, if the room does get a lot of sun that hits the TV, then an OLED is not the way to go. But OLED panels are still quite bright and very suitable for the majority of use situations.

I have a 65” A8F from a couple years ago (Sony’s 2nd OLED TV), and the picture quality is absolutely mind blowing. Granted, the room it’s in does not get a lot of direct sunlight, but considering that most of our TV watching occurs from 6pm-11pm, it’s not an issue. It helps that I got a killer deal on my OLEDas well ($1,300 for a brand new 65”).

Either way, I think the X950G is a fantastic LED-LCD TV. The FALED and local dimming is great at achieving those dark blacks, and at $1,000 for a 49” it’s much cheaper than the 48” Sony A9. IMO, I’d get the high-end LED-LCD over the OLED.

Real Name
Ian
Thanks for the information. Our TV room is also very bright, so I guess I should rule out OLED. I wasn't seriously considering it anyway.
I think that’s a good call. I also don’t think it’s worth the premium over the X950H, which is an excellent TV in every aspect.

Real Name
Don Roy
The bright room idea for OLED may be true, but the opposite is true too. A main reason for OLED is the dynamic range. When the data feed tells the screen to go black, it's off-black not LED-backlit-black that looks dark gray. OLED looks like the power went out. I LOVE that aspect of the TV.

To me, TV is like camera equipment. You look at the specs and buy what is best for you without being teased by what's less expensive. Pick a make and model by function first, then let your wallet shop around for the best deal on that exact item.

Of all the TV sets discussed in this thread, it appears that the Sony 49" Class X800H Series is the only one that would fit in the space I have available without modifications. Thus I am inclined to go with that.

The next task will be to sell the Mrs. on this idea. She hates getting new things.

LG just dropped the price of their mainstream OLED's $500 -- love my 65" CX!!!

Note - you don't need high luminance - you need ENOUGH to cover the dynamic range of the material PLUS enough to overcome the reflected light from the room.
With a good polarizer and coatings in front to eliminate reflections, high brightness is not really as important as one thinks.

The same is true in my household. Please let me know what works.

Different strokes for different folks, I'm sure. I will point out that our current TV, even though it's working fine, is about 12 years old and could die in the middle of something we don't want to miss. The greatly improved picture quality and other features are insignificant to her.

I will point out that our current TV, even though it's working fine, is about 12 years old and could die in the middle of something we don't want to miss. The greatly improved picture quality and other features are insignificant to her.

My wife would be willing to take that risk because she doesn't want to replace anything until it breaks. Then when the device breaks and is replaced, she realizes how much better all the new improvements are. Even so, if she had to do it all over again, she still wouldn't replace anything until it breaks.

The one time I got my way with her was when, being the cook in our household, I insisted that when one kitchen appliance broke, we would replace all of them to have a coordinated set. All of the kitchen appliances were very old at the time.

I recently replaced a 46 inch 1080p Samsung that had a capacitor die and take down the set. It was about 8 years old. I replaced it with a Sony AH8 OLED and it's the best picture I've ever seen.

We also replaced a Sony XBR 1080P 36 inch set that was almost 20 years old and still working with a 43 inch Sony X800H 4K and it's also a gorgeous picture.

I've had better luck with Sony for TVs than any other brand. More money, but better performance and longevity.

More expensive, but since I don't buy very often, I don't care, plus prices keep going down, as performance improves.

I recently replaced a 46 inch 1080p Samsung that had a capacitor die and take down the set. It was about 8 years old. I replaced it with a Sony AH8 OLED and it's the best picture I've ever seen.

We also replaced a Sony XBR 1080P 36 inch set that was almost 20 years old and still working with a 43 inch Sony X800H 4K and it's also a gorgeous picture.

I've had better luck with Sony for TVs than any other brand. More money, but better performance and longevity.

More expensive, but since I don't buy very often, I don't care, plus prices keep going down, as performance improves.

Thanks for the reinforcement of my choice, Ted. With the type of programs we watch I don't think the OLED is worth the extra cost.

I just ordered an LG OLEDCX65 (4k, HDR) to replace my 9 year old Panasonic Plasma (1080p) and can't wait to get it as it will be a major improvement. I think you will see the a substantial benefit as well. Costco just put them on a major sale as has Amazon and Best Buy.

There are multiple things to know such as viewing angles; appropriate size for how far away you sit, panel type (LED or OLED), light array (edge or local dimming); HDR type (HLG, HDR10, HDR10+ or Dolby Vision) HDMI cables (2.0 or 2.1) and more:

I recommend that you do your education and research here as there is a lot to know:

https://www.rtings.com

and here:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/search/?s=tv

Latest threads

Top Bottom