Should I delay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by huskey8, Apr 25, 2005.

1. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    I have been following the discussions about the d2x and the focusing problems that some people are having assuming that I can find one from a reputable dealer should I wait until this issue is resolved before I buy.
    Richard

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Richard,

If it were me, I would wait.

Frank

3. So this problem is across the board or only selected units ?

4. Jay (and Richard):

There's no confirmation as yet that this is anything other than isolated problems with specific cameras. Mine has problems, but I'm waiting to get a better feel that Nikon has something specific in mind to do with it before sending it in.

Jim Fenton has sent his in multiple times, Ron R. has hand-delivered his multiple times, and there's anecdotal evidence that others have also gone through multiple repair cycles to address these issues.

There's lots of room for confusion here, partially because the camera's so good that it is very unforgiving of anything less than high quality lenses and good technique. I believe this causes some people to think there's a problem with their camera when in fact there may not be one.

On the other hand, some of us indeed have experienced frequent (but still unpredictable) focus problems (mostly back- and front-focusing) that is indicating a problem somewhere in the system. I can tell you for sure that I've had better success focusing 200mm+ lenses on my D100 than I have with my D2x. Many others haven't run into this, so I have to believe that it's not all of the cameras at this point.

Having said all that, I would have to advise waiting until it seems that Nikon has sorted this out. And don't look for any official announcement of it, just that more and more people will be seeing their cameras repaired successfully.

Wish I could be more optimistic, but that's the way I see it right now. :-(

5. David,
    I read a lot of feedback about this camera and some people who are shooting "family type pictures" on daily basis and don't have years and years of experience, basically picked up the camera and had an excellent keepers without getting into all the details. They referred to it as "magical P&S" camera.

From your response it looks like without $1K glass and good technique, one will get poor results ?

I'm thinking about putting my name on RobertsImaging list. I called them today and they said 5-week wait.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jay,

If you do decide to pick up a D2X, I can highly recommend Roberts. I bought my H there, and they have been very good to do business with. In fact, when I sent my H back to have the metering fixed, I just sent it to them (they suggested that I do so) instead of sending it directly to Nikon.

Very good folks in my experience, and their prices are less than most other reputable outlets.

Frank

7. Frank,
    Thanks for your feedback. I heard nothing but good feedback about Roberts. I'm just curious why they are lowering their cameras by $300 if entire market is still sitting on $4999 and cameras are Out-Of-Stock. I understand the concept of moving the merchandise in-and-out instead of sitting on the same items but this is clearly not the same situation. Deman and Supply is still excellent.

But...I'm not complaining about it. I'm the one keeping $300 in my pocket.

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Wow this issue sure seems familiar given the same thing happened with the D70's initial release. I was in denial for over 6 months, thinking maybe it was user error but once I finally sent the camera in to be fixed it made a world of difference. I'd say it's definitely worth waiting to see how this shakes out; making such a large purchase and then stressing out that you're not getting the performance you should be is no fun...

9. Jay -

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression -- that's not really what I meant. It's just that in some cases the extra resolution allows you to see inherent defects a bit more clearly than you could before. It is by no means poor results, but if you look at images at 100% you will see every nuance of defect that you couldn't see before with the same glass. Does that make more sense?

By the way, except for the focus issues I've had (and continue to have), I absolutely love my D2x.

10. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    David, Frank
    Thanks so much for your input after seeing you guys in auction I have a lot of respect for your opinion. My dilemma is that a business opportunity is fast approaching that my 828 is just not going to cover. My only other option is to go with a d1x or outside the Nikon name in other words I need lens interchangeability.
    Richard

11. Richard,
    If I may. Going from 828 into D2X or actually any DSLR camera would be a "bit" of a bump. I wouldn't wait for last week to get your D2X and expect to be comfortable with settings in few days. Of course I'm not familiar with your experience so this is just general heads up. Good luck with your choice.

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Richard,

You are certainly welcome. I know that you are a fairly experienced shooter. Certainly more prepared than most that are moving up from a P&S. However Jay is correct in saying that learning the in's and out's of a new cam, particularly the D2X, in just a few days would be a huge challenge.

Instead of trying to make a quick decision because of your opportunity, why don't you just borrow a D70 (like mine)? That way, you can get your job done, and then take your time evaluating which cam to get for the long term. The D2X may be the best choice for you, but you certainly should consider the D2H and D2Hs as well. How long will the job last? When does it start? Have you chosen lenses? Do you have any yet? What do you think?

Regards,

Frank

13. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    Instead of trying to make a quick decision because of your opportunity, why don't you just borrow a D70 (like mine)? That way, you can get your job done, and then take your time evaluating which cam to get for the long term. The D2X may be the best choice for you, but you certainly should consider the D2H and D2Hs as well. How long will the job last? When does it start? Have you chosen lenses? Do you have any yet? What do you think?

Frank
    I’m just at a loss for words what an incredibly kind, generous offer. The opportunity is a 3 day wedding of a local celebrity It is the 1st week of June I was thinking of buying the f2.8 28-70 I don’t own any lens yet but several people told me that this is probably the best all round lens that Nikon makes. The one thing that the couple want is lots of portrait type pictures done in natural light 20x30 size to be given as gifts to the wedding party and family will the D70 blow up to that size with good resolution and is this an good lens for this. If you are comfortable with this how can I turn down such a generous offer. Thank you .

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Richard,

If you get the lens, you can borrow the cam. In fact, I'll be down there that week. I'll send you a PM to discuss the details.

Frank

15. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    RE: 20x30 prints from the D70. It's doable but there's not much margin for error. You're going to need to make sure you really nail the focus, DOF is adequate, and that you frame the shot well enough that you don't end up wasting resolution by having to crop. Post-processing needs to be top-notch too.

Even then such prints won't look great at super-close examination, but from normal viewing distances they should be fine (particularly for protraits where you probably won't have quite as much fine detail as in say a landscape).

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Richard,

I sent you a PM. Let me know if you get it.

Frank

17. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    Frank
    Got your PM reply on the way.
    Richard

18. So, what did you decide to do?

Regards
    JohnG

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    John,

I'm loaning him my D70 to use for his shoot. 8)

Frank

20. Frank

You Da man! :)

JohnG