Should I Exchange...

My nikon 70 - 300VR for a Nikon 300mm F4 AF-S?

I hear the 300F4 is a superb lens and have never really got excited by the 70 - 300 since buying my Nikon 70 - 200 2.8.

Would be adding approximately £500 to the 70 - 300VR.

Your advice would be most welcome.

Best regards

Chris

My nikon 70 - 300VR for a Nikon 300mm F4 AF-S?

I hear the 300F4 is a superb lens and have never really got excited by the 70 - 300 since buying my Nikon 70 - 200 2.8.

Would be adding approximately £500 to the 70 - 300VR.

Your advice would be most welcome.

Best regards

Chris
Also have a look at the Sigma 100-300 f4. This is a really good lens. However it can only take the Sigma TCs. You get the added benefit of a zoom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Ashman,

Shoot mostly with D700 but have D300 as back up.

Hi Ashok,

Thanks for the info. I guess I am more keen on going for the 300 as a prime.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris.

In my opinion, it depends on your most used focal length. If you shoot nearly always at 300 mm of the zoom and still need to crop later, a 300 mm prime will deliver better image quality.

I'm shooting wildlife (lots of birds) with my long lenses, and I will never use a prime for that purpose - it's not flexible enough to react quickly (say, a swan starts at the other side of the lake and lands 15 ft. in front of me).

It may be an option to use the 300mm on one cam from the tripod, and carrying the other body with the 70-200 for fast reaction. But, as I said, it depends on your needs and preferred subjects.

Additionally, the AF-S 300/4 is pretty slow with its autofocus. It may be an issue, again depending on your subjects.

Regards

Mattes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Chris.

In my opinion, it depends on your most used focal length. If you shoot nearly always at 300 mm of the zoom and still need to crop later, a 300 mm prime will deliver better image quality.

I'm shooting wildlife (lots of birds) with my long lenses, and I will never use a prime for that purpose - it's not flexible enough to react quickly (say, a swan starts at the other side of the lake and lands 15 ft. in front of me).

It may be an option to use the 300mm on one cam from the tripod, and carrying the other body with the 70-200 for fast reaction. But, as I said, it depends on your needs and preferred subjects.

Additionally, the AF-S 300/4 is pretty slow with its autofocus. It may be an issue, again depending on your subjects.

Regards

Mattes

Hi Mattes,

I think that in the main it will be pre set landscape shots or candids on the street. Possibly wildlife if I get into it!

Hi Sir Oliver,

Interesting, I have the Nikon TC2.0 had not thought about that, only that primes are better and this 300 f4 is rated highly.

Regards

Chris

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom