Should I get a D200?

I have a D5000 which is my first DSLR. It is very nice and compact, the quality of the pictures is great.
It came in a bundle with the 18-55mm VR lens and the 55-200mm VR zoom.
I also bought the 35mm 1.8G.
And my favourite is my 50mm 1.8.
However it is manual only.
I also find that going through all the menus on the D5000 is getting tedious.
I am looking at getting a second body, most probably second hand.
I am considering the D200 and the D80, which my local Nikon dealer has in stock.
htpp://chiswickcameras.co.uk

What would you think?

Morty,

I am not sure the conversion rate of Euros to USD but I would pay around $700 USD for a nice D200. It kinda depends on the shutter count though. They are rated up to something like 150,000 clicks. A replacement shutter is something like $200-300USD I think. I used a D200 until I got my D700 last year and I loved it. I would still use it in a situation where my D700 was unavailable. Its low light capabilities aren't that great after about ISO 800. but with current NR tech, you might be able to get away with ISO 1600...

It is definitely a great sturdy body and would be a huge step up from your D5000. My favorite thing about the Pro bodies, is the number of buttons. You don't even have to leave the view finder to change your settings.

If you are thinking about it, I would say pull the trigger. It won't let you down.

i've been shooting a D200 for just over a year now & i have to say i still really like it. fits the hand well & like mentioned above instant access to all major controls. the focus is pretty fast & the metering seems very reliable/consistant
its also the easiest way of getting a body that can work with most of the lenses Nikon have ever made!

image quality wise i don't think it will be a whole lot different to what you already have BUT you might find a faster camera will give you more "keepers" & let you grab shots you might otherwise miss :smile:

also its built pretty well & is environmentally sealed which for me is a plus but don't know how important this is to you?

people will mention the high ISO performance as tbh that is the real advantage of using a newer body. nowadays everybody wants to take pics of fast moving subjects in the dark with no flash:rolleyes: however at base ISO the D200 can deliver great images. people also rave about the realistic fleshtones etc from it.
the D200 was one of the last CCD sensored DSLRs from Nikon & there are many people who love them just for that reason!

there's a thread down the page a little asking whether a D200 is too old nowadays which has some more info for you & a search will probably get you a weeks reading LOL

have a good read & if possible have a play with one & see what you think :wink:

I wouldn't really pay any more than $500USD/CDN for a D200 these days. I bought mine with a grip for $500 and 9k actuations on the clock, and I'm seeing them go around that on craigslist recently. Any more than that and I'd expect some kind of warranty from the store. Of course, local supply and demand typically sets the price on craigslist, so -- ;)

A friend of mine has a D200 and produces some stunning images with it, one of which was published on a full half-page (if that makes sense) in a broadsheet newspaper here a couple of weeks ago.

On that basis I say go for it. I doubt you'll regret it.

Why not look at a used D90? Same 12mp type sensor and output as your D5000 but with tons more features and buttons, shouldn't cost much more than a used D200.

Not that the D200 is bad, just not very good at higher ISOs. If your planning on shooting @ ISO 100-400, then by all means jump on one.

In the Uk there still is quite a large price gap in favour of the D200 v the D90. But if that changes I will definitely consider it as the 2 D200 my local dealer had are gone !

In the Uk there still is quite a large price gap in favour of the D200 v the D90. But if that changes I will definitely consider it as the 2 D200 my local dealer had are gone !

The D200 is a great camera and the fact the ones for sale were snapped up speaks for itself.:smile:

I bought a secondhand one from Ffordes about 2 and a half years ago and I really like it.

The handling and ergonomics are great plus it works pretty well with AI/AIS lenses.

I'd definitely recommend one.

i'm in the UK & i just got the mrs a new D90 body from Hong Kong with a 16gig card & a couple of silly extras thrown in for under £500! (including the £14 duty)
i bought it last Sunday & according to DHL its at my door today :wink:

D90 prices might even drop a little once the D5100 hits the streets but they seem to have been a universally popular camera & quite highly regarded

used ones are going for around the same price as a clean low mileage D200
but many people are asking nearly the same as a new Honk Kong price on a used D90 so when i had to get one i went for the new import :smile:

Why not look at a used D90? Same 12mp type sensor and output as your D5000 but with tons more features and buttons, shouldn't cost much more than a used D200.

Not that the D200 is bad, just not very good at higher ISOs. If your planning on shooting @ ISO 100-400, then by all means jump on one.

I have to agree with this if the prices are close. I have the D200 (which I love) but it is old technology. The nicest thing about it (other than the great ISO100 images) is the quick access to all of the buttons. However, the D90 has a clearly superior sensor. The D200 will be a step back from your current sensor, so if there are things you are not satisfied with now, you will be even less so.

Just some things to keep in mind.

Thanks, I had forgotten about the sensor technology. That is a good point that goes into the "cons" column.

I went from a D40 to a D200, to a D300. This is completely subjective, but I love the files from my D200 at base ISO, even more than my D300. Sure the D200 is not a D3 ISO wise, but it depends on what you are shooting and in what environments.
The control layout on the D200 is very sweet, everything is right at your finger tips. If you can live with the ISO 800 and below, then score the D200 and have a ball.
OUrabmen

i've recently bumped my D200 into reserve now i have a D2Xs but i have to say i think i prefer the metering & colours out of the D200 when shooting Jpeg's.
the D2Xs seems to over expose slightly & tends to blow the highlights a bit :eek:

shooting RAW isn't such a problem as both cameras produce lovely files but i have to say i really like the D200's output :Love:

I say go with the D200. I've had both the D200 and the D5000, and overall I was much more satisfied with the D200. It is much more pleasurable to use, with all the controls on the body itself, and the build quality if far superior.

My experience with the D200 is limited. I spent a whole week with one and I was delighted with the colors and resolution. Battery life soon got to my nerves although batteries do not tend to be at their best after three years of continuous use, the case with the camera I borrowed.
I did some wildlife photography with it and its AF did not let me down. Skin colors off camera could easily be one of the best in all Nikon bodies. The RAW files are excellent in quality, especially with good lenses.
If you can get one in good condition and with low mileage, yes go for it.
The D200 is an excellent tool and its first generation colors are awesome.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Latest threads

Top Bottom